Fixed race times?

race and calendar global organistion

Moderators: systemmods, Calendarmods

Robyklebt

Fixed race times?

Post by Robyklebt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Post from NoPik in another thread. Deserves an own thread because if that were to change, it would be a major change. Even if it seems answering in another post is reason to ask Luques to fire me, not sure I got everything right, but sometimes it's hard to follow the thoughts of some people.....

Here the NoPik post.
NoPikouze wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:16 am
And on the other topics, with my "fresh" view from a newcomer, I kind of think it would be more user friendly to have majority of races between 1h30 and 1h45. I know you guys like to be kind of realistic. But I'm talking as a user, a player, a person with a professional and a familial life (kind of :P ). It is just more easy to play.

Idem dito for race times. A never ending topic I guess. but I understand some people have other preferences than mine.
I can play from 22h to 24h with no issues. 21h might be a bit early sometimes, but mostly ok. 20h is dinner time, impossible. 23h-1h is too late.
So a fix 21h or 22h is great for me.
But when it changes everyday, it's not convenient at all. Most of my days have kind of a fix schedule. Work. Kid. Dinner... I'm not going to adapt because on monday there is a race at 20h (early dinner for family because of rsf?) and on tuesday at 23h (late morning at wednesday?).
Well, if it is just a fantasy race in a while that I have to skip, it is also not an issue.

But I'm just saying that overall, if you know the standard time of your races, it is more easy to play the game. When it changes every day, supposedly to please to most, it is less possible to have a regular schedule.
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Robyklebt

Re: Fixed race times?

Post by Robyklebt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:44 pm

So ok, I clearly prefer the system we have now. Changing times. But can you (NoPik) expand?

What exactly do you mean?

So fixed times for everything for the whole year? Or monthly blocks? Or weekly blocks?
For example every race always starts at for example 10-15-18-21-23. No exceptions? If it's something with 4 editions one of those is cut, if 3 editions 2? Etc.

Theoretical problem here would be that Luques told me years ago to try to avoid starting at the same time as much as possible, might lead to bugs, don't think it's ever happened, but if there's a tour at 21, try to start one day races at 20 or 22, not 21.

Or more like
Tours: 10-15-18-21-23
1 day races: 9-14-17-20-22

Advantages you already wrote, you know that there is a fix time you can ride, either you can or you can't.

Disadvantages for me is clearly is: Some people might have to ride on a time they can, but is really not the perfect time. Doubt anybody wouldn't be able to ride at all anymore, but riding every day at the not perfect time is tiring too. 15h for example is 23h here in Japan in winter, I don't mind riding a tour, a few one day races there. But every tour? Every one day race? Same for you I guess. If there's a race that really looks nice, it starts at 20+23, ok, you might give it a try at 23, if it's not that long. Once a week, you probably can manage. But every day you can't. And I guess many people have time no 1, no 2, no. 3 etc. (if it goes that far) If all ends up in no. 1, perfect. But if all ends up in no. 3? Ok twice a week, ok the occasional tour, but then every single day? Just think that wold be more frustrating (at least to me) than changing times, one day perfect, the other ok, maybe one day bad. And one day you mistake the time and come too late (me today...)

Under POkemon years ago sometimes we had those weekly or so blocks, every one day race at the same time for a week. I didn't like it at all, for exactly the reason above, either had it perfect for a week, or had it too early, or too late (and at the time I had 1 or 2 days getting up before 6am if I remember correctly) for a week... and I much preferred the changing times. And made myself heard (not that anything changed)

Anyway, other opinions?
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Hansa

Post by Hansa » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Robyklebt wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:44 pm
So ok, I clearly prefer the system we have now. Changing times. But can you (NoPik) expand?

What exactly do you mean?

So fixed times for everything for the whole year? Or monthly blocks? Or weekly blocks?
For example every race always starts at for example 10-15-18-21-23. No exceptions? If it's something with 4 editions one of those is cut, if 3 editions 2? Etc.

Theoretical problem here would be that Luques told me years ago to try to avoid starting at the same time as much as possible, might lead to bugs, don't think it's ever happened, but if there's a tour at 21, try to start one day races at 20 or 22, not 21.

Or more like
Tours: 10-15-18-21-23
1 day races: 9-14-17-20-22

Advantages you already wrote, you know that there is a fix time you can ride, either you can or you can't.

Disadvantages for me is clearly is: Some people might have to ride on a time they can, but is really not the perfect time. Doubt anybody wouldn't be able to ride at all anymore, but riding every day at the not perfect time is tiring too. 15h for example is 23h here in Japan in winter, I don't mind riding a tour, a few one day races there. But every tour? Every one day race? Same for you I guess. If there's a race that really looks nice, it starts at 20+23, ok, you might give it a try at 23, if it's not that long. Once a week, you probably can manage. But every day you can't. And I guess many people have time no 1, no 2, no. 3 etc. (if it goes that far) If all ends up in no. 1, perfect. But if all ends up in no. 3? Ok twice a week, ok the occasional tour, but then every single day? Just think that wold be more frustrating (at least to me) than changing times, one day perfect, the other ok, maybe one day bad. And one day you mistake the time and come too late (me today...)

Under POkemon years ago sometimes we had those weekly or so blocks, every one day race at the same time for a week. I didn't like it at all, for exactly the reason above, either had it perfect for a week, or had it too early, or too late (and at the time I had 1 or 2 days getting up before 6am if I remember correctly) for a week... and I much preferred the changing times. And made myself heard (not that anything changed)

Anyway, other opinions?
I like changing times, i also have my times that fit me best and i also ride races i really like to a time that doesnt fit me well but if i had to ride every day a time that doesnt really fit it wouldnt be nice. but i also would be ok with the idea of haveing the saem time for like Weekly blocks. doesnt really Change anything for me because i mostly ride tours so i have These blocks with the same time anyway. But im also for let everyone have the Chance to ride with alternating times.
Hansa

est. 03.08.2009

Gipfelstuermer

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Interesting point to discuss as we don't need luques coding to change times. But I don't really get NoPik's point, either. If you want a fixed time, you can simply ride a tour. If you need flexibility, you can ride one day races.

So we can only speculate...
Maybe NoPik wants always the same time for tours? A bit unfair for those who don't like the fixed time.
Maybe NoPik wants more tours? Possible as I think he joined Sep/Oct where we had too few tours.
Or something else? Not sure.

A different idea could be to have fixed time periods instead of fixed times, e.g.
- Morning (9/10)
- Afternoon (14/15)
- Early Evening (18/19)
- Evening (20/21)
- Late Evening (22/23)

But hard to find an agreement here, e.g. some players play from different time zones, some players like odd times such as 13 or 17 or 24 and weekends are very different from weekdays for many...

Just some thoughts. The real need for changes is: We need more players! That would make calendar planning much much easier!
GIP MASTERPLAN
Gameplay: Flexible Min-Tact. Improve Sprint System. Windkante.
Marketing: Re-attract old players. Advertisement. Social Media.
New Players: Fair Start Budget, New Tutorial.
Fairplay: Improve FPC features, Fair Prize Money Disribution.

Bear

Post by Bear » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:54 pm

I am for flexible times and discussion for each month. Every month is different.

Weezel

Post by Weezel » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:40 am

Flexible times are important I think, so everybody sometimes get his perfect time.
For me, 11 is the perfect time. So if you start to devide it into morning (9/10), afternoon (14/15) - my perfect time is gone.
Even 12 and 13 would be great for me, but they are seldom.
Manager von T-Mobile-A

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:13 am

11h perfect time! Finally we found somebody!
Often when I put a race at 11h got complaints, even though the numbers actually aren't that bad. Now we finally found somebody that had that as favorite time. Excellent. T- Mobile A makes a huge jump and is now my 254th favorite manager!

But well, in fact 9/10-14/15 are the core times of the morning and afternoon they get most times. Participation is a bit better than 11 and 16. I've basically given up on 8 but this year actually 13 has performed better than expected. So if we stay with flex times they should get the occasional race, maybe even a tour, but not many.

About fix times again. Telling NoPik or others to ride tours really isn't helpful I think. They might not fit the team, or some people prefer 1 day races... (Big Donkey actually probably prefers 1 day races for example). The idea is: You know when you can ride, either you can or not. Tours for example change their starting times too.

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am

Hmm ok I see most of the people prefer flexible times.

Well, for starters my point is not that is should never change or that all tours should be at a fix time the whole year. Btw when 2 parallel races, of course it is good to dispatch them in the schedule.

My issue is that i'm used to riding at 22h, logging in around 21h often. And somedays I log in at 20h40, and there is no race left to ride(or maybe super late), as it is at 21h and inscription is closed. So this is a bit annoying, as I wanted to play and I cannot.
Yes, maybe I should check earlier and remember, whatever...

Perhaps it would be more easy to do a whole week at fixed times (talking about fantasy races). Or maybe 3 days and then change, why not. But then again, you have to be aware of the system and pay attention, so it's still the same "issue".

Maybe another slight improvement would be to allow race inscriptions until 45 or 50 instead of 30. That should be easy and not an issue to anyone, and at least you don't have to log in like 45' before a race starts.
I guess Luques is needed for this though.
Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo...

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:17 am

NoPikouze wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am
Hmm ok I see most of the people prefer flexible times.

Well, for starters my point is not that is should never change or that all tours should be at a fix time the whole year. Btw when 2 parallel races, of course it is good to dispatch them in the schedule.

My issue is that i'm used to riding at 22h, logging in around 21h often. And somedays I log in at 20h40, and there is no race left to ride(or maybe super late), as it is at 21h and inscription is closed. So this is a bit annoying, as I wanted to play and I cannot.
Yes, maybe I should check earlier and remember, whatever...

Perhaps it would be more easy to do a whole week at fixed times (talking about fantasy races). Or maybe 3 days and then change, why not. But then again, you have to be aware of the system and pay attention, so it's still the same "issue".

Maybe another slight improvement would be to allow race inscriptions until 45 or 50 instead of 30. That should be easy and not an issue to anyone, and at least you don't have to log in like 45' before a race starts.
I guess Luques is needed for this though.
Well I would also like to be able to inscript to a race till 45'. Some days during the weekend I can just ride in the morning, I log on at 8:40 and the morning race starts at 9. I mean of course you can avoid that by watching the times the day before but is there a main reasons that limits an inscription till 15min before the start from technical perspectives?
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 am

Later inscription has this advantage, it has one disadvantage too though. You have less time to come online before the race, to do settings etc. People with meetings, eatings or whatever might prefer a longer pre race time, as it is now. For me both ok really, sometimes when I'm riding the trains during the wild Tokyo nights, or forced to eat out with my wife, I'm quite happy to have 25 or so minutes to make the settings before the race starts, since I might be changing trains, end up in a full one where I can hardly take out my phone (but Corona be thanked that's not an issue right now) or know that we'll be walking home right before the race starts and I rather do the settings in the warm restaurant than while walking home...

Hansa

Post by Hansa » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 am

I Think inscription till 45 is fine too. Im normally there 25 minutes before the start already but i see more as an advantage than a disadvantage.
Hansa

est. 03.08.2009

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Robyklebt wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 am
Later inscription has this advantage, it has one disadvantage too though. You have less time to come online before the race, to do settings etc. People with meetings, eatings or whatever might prefer a longer pre race time, as it is now. For me both ok really, sometimes when I'm riding the trains during the wild Tokyo nights, or forced to eat out with my wife, I'm quite happy to have 25 or so minutes to make the settings before the race starts, since I might be changing trains, end up in a full one where I can hardly take out my phone (but Corona be thanked that's not an issue right now) or know that we'll be walking home right before the race starts and I rather do the settings in the warm restaurant than while walking home...
Well sure this is a disadvantage and cannot be overcome by simply watching your inscription page the day before. For this reason it will be better to leave it like it is.
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points