Suggestion for the offseason calendar

race and calendar global organistion

Moderators: systemmods, Calendarmods

Coroncina2

Re: Suggestion for the offseason calendar

Post by Coroncina2 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 pm

team fl wrote:
Coroncina2 wrote:A table like this, it's just what I talk in my post (maybe badly explained), would also be useful for the real season, for the same reason that you done it for offseason.
Where have you been during the last years? This has been common procedure since 2012. And of course it is different, because the offseason has to be managed by the users themselves, as it is OFFSEASON. The main season calender is set anyway. If you follow cycling a bit and can handle some Internet skill, you may find out about it yourself. F.e. you can find the UCI Road Calender here: http://www.uci.ch/road/calendar/ . Chose 2018 for the Season and you have it.
I know what is offseason and that in UCI official web site we can see real calendar.
The problem is wait till few days before next month to know which race we will play in rsf. This problem does not concern great races (we know when Giro, Milano San Remo, RVV, LBL, Paris Roubaix and so on) but the contour races that still make palmares and allow you to make money to improve the team (Tour of Alberta, China II, Tour of Czech Republic, Giro della Toscana). Know in time which race we do will help:
1) designers to organize better his time and not wait till few days from next month who draws what,
2) manager to set form in time even on less prestige race if they haven't a top team.
I'm not pretending to plan all singol day, and I don't care on what fantasy will be put on the holes of real calendar, but at least know what real races they will be doing next year.
It sure that in dicember we didn't know all UCI races. So I suggest to add on our calendar time by time we know that a race will take place.
I'll open another post to continue this argument which deals with the realseason.
Mens sana in corpore sano

team fl

Post by team fl » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 am

Current draft:

What would you think about putting the Tour des Pavés from 22 to 26 January and have two small tours in the first two January weeks instead?
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.

Gipfelstuermer

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am

Just a little note: Campeonato is still two days too short. It used to be a full 2-week-race, so it should be either from Sa, 4-Nov to Su, 19-Nov or from Mo, 6-Nov to Tu, 21-Nov (not to interfer with Hainan). Or, as another option, it could be Sa, 11-Nov to Su, 26-Nov.
GIP MASTERPLAN
Gameplay: Flexible Min-Tact. Improve Sprint System. Windkante.
Marketing: Re-attract old players. Advertisement. Social Media.
New Players: Fair Start Budget, New Tutorial.
Fairplay: Improve FPC features, Fair Prize Money Disribution.

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Gipfelstuermer wrote:Just a little note: Campeonato is still two days too short. It used to be a full 2-week-race, so it should be either from Sa, 4-Nov to Su, 19-Nov or from Mo, 6-Nov to Tu, 21-Nov (not to interfer with Hainan). Or, as another option, it could be Sa, 11-Nov to Su, 26-Nov.
14 or 16 days isn't a problem, need to fit withthe rest of the calendar too

Coroncina2

Post by Coroncina2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Why play Malaysia (cat 2.2) and not Taihu Lake (cat 2.1) or another cat 2.2?

I would suggest this for october:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5348

team fl

Post by team fl » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Coroncina2 wrote:Why play Malaysia (cat 2.2) and not Taihu Lake (cat 2.1) or another cat 2.2?

I would suggest this for october:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5348
The October calender is discussed in the October thread. Please post your suggestion there.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:06 pm

Maybe an update with:
Which classics on which day. (the Pokemon geographic rule would be kind of ok as long as it's not so rigid that exceptions aren't possible)
What parallel tours and what length?

And ok, look at what Luques decides in the NOvember thread too... I'll repeat here what I said there, roughly, might say something different, not going to check.

Andes 16 days!
Andes a bit later start so to have a short break between Hainan and Andes (for Chelly and/or Brescia for example)
Say no to long real parallel tours. Or at least to one.
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Offseason Calender 2018

First draft is out! Feel free to comment.

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:31 am

Any comments, suggestions, criticism?

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 am

Damn, thought I had already answered here in July, didn't it seems.

1) I'm for cutting Sachsen Pavé. Designer isn't around anymore, we already did an old version in 2017, IMO makes no sense to have another old version in 2018. New designer? Bah, no, let the race die when the designer has enough or isn't around anymore.
Replace it with another pavé tour? Not necessarily, I'd just cut it without direct replacement. But move the pavé tour back to it's original place, end of October or early November. That frees up the spot in earlier January, that really is too crowded every year. And then we solve the second problem I have with the proposal, a 7 day January tour. Design something for 14 days, have it cut to 7 really makes no sense if it's voted on, the tour we'll ride might be something completely different from what the vote was on. :lol: Keep the January tour at 10 days, like it has been for the last few years (even that's a pretty major cut in a way, but IMO ok still)

So only one pavé tour left, but that opens up the possibility of more "tours with pavé", even in decisive places. While with both Sachsen and Pavé tour in, other fantasy tours that exceeded a minimal amount of pavé basically had no chance to ever be ridden, now they would have chances to go in.
Of course if Liberty shows up again, no problem with re-introducing Sachsen pavé.

2) January tour, see above

3) Rwanda: Think real Rwanda has been raced already? Samuel Mugisha won it seems.

4) Lots of 4+5 day tours, ok, but think we used to have one at 7 or 6 or so, one of them maybe end of Nov. would be kind of ok, no? Otherwise agree that more 4-5 is better than more long ones.
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

team fl

Post by team fl » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 am

Robyklebt wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 am
1) I'm for cutting Sachsen Pavé. Designer isn't around anymore, we already did an old version in 2017, IMO makes no sense to have another old version in 2018. New designer? Bah, no, let the race die when the designer has enough or isn't around anymore.
Replace it with another pavé tour? Not necessarily, I'd just cut it without direct replacement. But move the pavé tour back to it's original place, end of October or early November. That frees up the spot in earlier January, that really is too crowded every year. And then we solve the second problem I have with the proposal, a 7 day January tour. Design something for 14 days, have it cut to 7 really makes no sense if it's voted on, the tour we'll ride might be something completely different from what the vote was on. :lol: Keep the January tour at 10 days, like it has been for the last few years (even that's a pretty major cut in a way, but IMO ok still

So only one pavé tour left, but that opens up the possibility of more "tours with pavé", even in decisive places. While with both Sachsen and Pavé tour in, other fantasy tours that exceeded a minimal amount of pavé basically had no chance to ever be ridden, now they would have chances to go in.
Of course if Liberty shows up again, no problem with re-introducing Sachsen pavé.
Personally, I've really liked both pavé tours as it is - at least for me - a welcomed diversification of the types of stage races around. But I've always been a team with an emphasis on pavé riders, so I guess I am a bit biased. Anyway, both pavé stage races have become kind of a tradition and it's hard to get rid of traditions. But I am with you that esp. the Sachsen Pflaster was closely bound to its designer. Hence, I think it's not the worst idea to put the Tour des Pavés back to the end of October / beginning of November again and get ride of the pavé stage race in January, which is already packed, as you stated too. Bottom line, I would support the idea, as long as Libby is not actively doing something about it.

Just make sure that there are enough pavé races around, f.e. at least two pavé races per month (not just races with a bit pavé...). If it is possible.
2) January tour, see above
Agree too, January is very packed. With a pavé tour it was pretty hard to figure out a way to have a decent January calender. Without it, the "January Tour" gets more space. And why not have it that way?
3) Rwanda: Think real Rwanda has been raced already? Samuel Mugisha won it seems.
Honestly, I have no idea. I just had a look at the UCI calender very briefly.... Could just be another fantasy stage race there. But if there is an offical race around, why not include it. I will check again.
4) Lots of 4+5 day tours, ok, but think we used to have one at 7 or 6 or so, one of them maybe end of Nov. would be kind of ok, no? Otherwise agree that more 4-5 is better than more long ones.
Will check that too. I will adapt the calender a bit, but I wait for some more comments and opinions until the middle of September.

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:38 am

Guadeloupe !

team fl

Post by team fl » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:53 am

Pokemon Club wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:38 am
Guadeloupe !
What's with it?

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm

team fl wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:53 am
Pokemon Club wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:38 am
Guadeloupe !
What's with it?
My fantastic tour always in calendar since 5 years!

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:53 pm

And it won't be this year.

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Robyklebt wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:53 pm
And it won't be this year.
You must be a genious to decide that

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:42 pm

Whatever that a genious is :lol:

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Robyklebt wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:42 pm
Whatever that a genious is :lol:
You don't know what is it ? :shock: :?

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Something like you most likely.

Gipfelstuermer

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Ok, finally found my way to this off season calendar topic. Thanks FL for the ideas.

Campeonato, December Tour and January Tour as main "anchors" in the calendar totally make sense. Pave Tour instead of Sachsen to have a more complete January Tour also makes sense.

Just a few things I would reconsider:

1) October: Puh, cannot be happy with UCI calendar at all. Malaysia, then this stupid "presidential" Tour of Turkey, then Guanxi and Hainan. Well, that is 4x small tours with 90% short and flat stages and 4x basically zero cycling tradition. Ok, leaving tradition and politics aside, still a bit boring. Looked at the tours: Malaysia seems not online yet, but was 4/5 stages were flat in 2017. Turkey 4/6 stages are flat this year. Guanxi 3/6 stages are flat this year. Hainan seems not online yet, but was 8/9 stages flat in 2017. Ok, so Malaysia in because it is quite nice to have such a race in Asia I guess and they may surprise with the profile. Turkey and Guanxi in because profiles look more exciting than I thought. Well, still mainly boring flat, but at least a few sieb km. But then after those 3 flat tours, another Hainan? Puuh... I know, real races have priority, but who in this game follows Hainan in real life? Probably nobody. So I thought maybe replace Hainan with a nice fantasy tour, e.g. Portuguese as we did not ride Portugal this year. But having two fantasy tours in parallel is also not too smart here. So perhaps mark Tour de Pavés as Race 1 and Hainan Race 2 (so more times for Tour de Pavés than for Hainan). We do it similarly for Campeonato vs. Rwanda, so it would be ok I think.

2) Small thing on the "pavé race", for which you reserved a spot on Wed, 7 Nov parallel to Campeonato: You might put it somewhere else because Campeonato has some pavé this year.

3) More general on parallel program to the main tours in Nov/Dec/Jan: Perhaps keep already in mind, that editions for those tours should be only 2 or 3 each, I guess and then change the times a lot, e.g. put 9-19 for one and 14-21 for the next small tour. That way people are more encouraged to ride the main tours and/or the one-day races which we also have.

That's it so far. Will have a look for RSF Classics as well.
GIP MASTERPLAN

team fl

Post by team fl » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:15 am

Gipfelstuermer wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:24 pm
Ok, finally found my way to this off season calendar topic. Thanks FL for the ideas.
Thank you for taking the time to comment (also to the others who do so, constructively).
Campeonato, December Tour and January Tour as main "anchors" in the calendar totally make sense. Pave Tour instead of Sachsen to have a more complete January Tour also makes sense.
This seems to be the frame of the setting, yes.

Just a few things I would reconsider:

1) October: Puh, cannot be happy with UCI calendar at all. Malaysia, then this stupid "presidential" Tour of Turkey, then Guanxi and Hainan. Well, that is 4x small tours with 90% short and flat stages and 4x basically zero cycling tradition. Ok, leaving tradition and politics aside, still a bit boring. Looked at the tours: Malaysia seems not online yet, but was 4/5 stages were flat in 2017. Turkey 4/6 stages are flat this year. Guanxi 3/6 stages are flat this year. Hainan seems not online yet, but was 8/9 stages flat in 2017. Ok, so Malaysia in because it is quite nice to have such a race in Asia I guess and they may surprise with the profile. Turkey and Guanxi in because profiles look more exciting than I thought. Well, still mainly boring flat, but at least a few sieb km. But then after those 3 flat tours, another Hainan? Puuh... I know, real races have priority, but who in this game follows Hainan in real life? Probably nobody. So I thought maybe replace Hainan with a nice fantasy tour, e.g. Portuguese as we did not ride Portugal this year. But having two fantasy tours in parallel is also not too smart here. So perhaps mark Tour de Pavés as Race 1 and Hainan Race 2 (so more times for Tour de Pavés than for Hainan). We do it similarly for Campeonato vs. Rwanda, so it would be ok I think.
I like the idea of having a "fantasy" Tour of Portugal in the offseason. And I don't really care about Hainan. But maybe we get some more opinions about that.
2) Small thing on the "pavé race", for which you reserved a spot on Wed, 7 Nov parallel to Campeonato: You might put it somewhere else because Campeonato has some pavé this year.
I am sure, the pavé teams are not riding the Andes because of some stages with pavé...
3) More general on parallel program to the main tours in Nov/Dec/Jan: Perhaps keep already in mind, that editions for those tours should be only 2 or 3 each, I guess and then change the times a lot, e.g. put 9-19 for one and 14-21 for the next small tour. That way people are more encouraged to ride the main tours and/or the one-day races which we also have.
That's part of the Roby's / Luques' job, fortunately :)

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:17 am

About real races:
Hadn't seen Malasyia, IMO of course needs to go out.
Real season. 2.2. so highly unimportant. We generally ignore Asian 2.1. races, since the level is so low and we normally have enough to cut anyway. Now in this period we would have time for this tour, but IMO we can survive a week without a tour as well, no need to go and get 2.2. races if for one week we have no real stage race worth riding. Then just have no stage race that week. Much better.
Hainan: Has been in for ages, I'm not a fan of it, but ok, it is more important than Malaysia, every year there are some ok riders going there for some easy wins.. and generally had ok participation here too, so that one I would leave in.
Quanzhou: another one of those unnecessary 2.2 tours.... grr, you like putting those in, eh? I'd rather be opposed to that too.
Taihu in November: Don't think the calendar for 2019 is out (UCI season for some reason begins end of October...) but was in November last year, 2.1., if we want real races that one is better (completely sucks, but better)
Fuzhou: The same,

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:34 am

Draft version 2, incl. proposals for the offseason classics and adaptions regarding the pavé tours, January tours, etc. I checked the official calender and adapted stage races accordingly. Costa Rica is a bit a bummer because it overlaps with the December Tour. Go and comment :).

Gipfelstuermer

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks for the update FL. Just my 2 cents, but I would say:

- No Malaysia
- No Hainan
- No Singarak

Why? It's all low category boring flat.

Then December Tour parallel to Quanzhou & Small Tour & Costa Rica not a good idea. If we had the link between category and prize money, OK, but like this, parallel programm is more attractive than December Tour. Would be a shame after putting so much work. Well, I am not allowed to participate it seems (they want low quality this year), but still, somebody will put in a lot of work, win a competition and then see people ride that parallel stuff...

LUQUES, IF YOU READ THIS, PLEASE DO THE MONEY REVOLUTION ASAP

Okok, so what to do? December Tour simply 1 or 2 days earlier could work. Or Small Tour after December Tour parallel to Costa Rica.
GIP MASTERPLAN

Coroncina2

Post by Coroncina2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:11 am

Do what you want. I would like many kind of race for many kind of team.
Just all mountain tours would be nice for me, but don't blame if there aren't many sprinter teams ;)