Race chat

Discussion about technical stuff and suggestions for improvement.

Moderator: systemmods

Schnuggeritos

Race chat

Post by Schnuggeritos » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:09 pm

Hi there!
I had a thought today that could help to change tactics in groups without changing the core itself. At least I hope it has no effect on the core.

As the thread says, it is about the race chat. How about creating a separate chat window for escapes and allowing them to switch back and forth between the main chat (pelOton) and the group chat so that the group can coordinate with each other and use tactics if necessary. In real life, no one (except the TV cameras / microphones) can hear what is being discussed in the group. So we would come pretty close to that, wouldn't we?

To keep it as clean as possible and not create thousands of chats, there are a few conditions.

1. Teams in escape >= 2
2. Formation of escape >= 10km
3. Formation of escape before finish line > 30km
4. Stage / race is no TT or TTT
(5. Maximum number of active chats) - has be defined

In order to differentiate the chats, they need to be named accordingly. I am thinking of the kilometre of origin and the name of the team in the group that has the best ranking of the season. In the rare case of several groups with the same teams, they might have to be numbered. As soon as the group has fallen apart, the final kilometre is added in addition to the start.

Whenever the group breaks up (not the pelOton!), the chat becomes inactive, but remains viewable for the former teams and after the race, all chats will then be visible to the teams. The spectators can follow and see them chat live - cameras and microphones, you know.

To switch between the different chats we can add a drop down field / list that allows a direct jump into the favored chat. Added here as "Switch Chat".
Switch Chat.jpg
Switch Chat.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 278 times

What do you think about it? Feeld free to comment and ask all questions you have.

Cheers
Schnuggeritos

flockmastoR

Re: Race chat

Post by flockmastoR » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:20 pm

I am against it for many reasons, and I can also say that such proposals were discussed in the past.

Why I am against it?

Most importantly, don't give anybody the chance for unrealistic agreements in-game. I don't see any actual advantage you could have from this, ok probably you can talk more openly about energy, km to change tempo settings. But imo thats one of the nice things in the game, talk about something without really telling it directly. Ok you said make it public afterwards and for the spectators. So we could find unrealistic arrangements and fine them afterwards. True but not really helping too much. Better try to avoid it in the first place and not make a new feature that is more or less the gateway to such behaviour, while having little actual advantage. And what is realistic about it, if all spectators hear the riders talking to each other and noone in the team car can get the information?

+ Very complicated to implement in the way you proposed it, do hundrets of checks just for opening and closing chat tabs that are not used in 99% of the cases.
If some secret messaging should be done (not in my opinion), than just direct messages to ONE manager in-game but that is even worse concerning the unrealistic arrangements.
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points