Pavé and hill/mountain balance

Discussion about technical stuff and suggestions for improvement.

Moderator: systemmods

Buhmann

Pavé and hill/mountain balance

Post by Buhmann » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:46 am

There are beta tests today in the short races...what do you mean, use this version for tomorrow?

Pokemon Club

Re: Pavé and hill/mountain balance

Post by Pokemon Club » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:18 pm

Hum to know if we should use it since tomorrow or not, it could be nice if we ride some short race with some usual km, like 6***, 4**, 7**, 1**** I guess, not 17***** or -8****, it isn't enough explicit about how is the new balance ;) .

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:41 pm

I am not sure...i would primarily like to see if there are any bugs. And for the extreme KMs is the biggest danger. So that is the reason why we have this in the short races.
If we would use the km of the tomorrow race, everybody could test exactly hat tomorrow could happen. Í don´t like it very much...

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Buhmann wrote:I am not sure...i would primarily like to see if there are any bugs. And for the extreme KMs is the biggest danger. So that is the reason why we have this in the short races.
If we would use the km of the tomorrow race, everybody could test exactly hat tomorrow could happen. Í don´t like it very much...
Hum okay for extreme KMs. But implant that the day before RVV...could be funny or freeze totally races because nobody know what will happen, don't know if it is a good thing or not, else if the new balance looks interesting.

Hansa

Post by Hansa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:42 pm

you could implement that riders which ride a real race also can ride short races would be easier to test then because much of the important riders are at the 3 day tour and i just can test with the not so good rider
Hansa

est. 03.08.2009

team fl

Post by team fl » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Please please please do not change anything in April. And please not at all from today to tomorrow. I really like the idea of making racing physics better for these parts but again: Please not in one day and not one day before RVV... Do it good, use May for it. Test it, get input. But don't do a hasty maneuver that half of the community does not get anyway and nobody knows the implications of...
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:29 pm

The sense of the changes is, that the classic races works fine. So why wait till they are ended?

skull

Post by skull » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 pm

At a first glance it looks ok.
But can i have more common hills.
Something like 7** and 6*** instead of 17****
You know you love me.

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:01 pm

skull wrote:At a first glance it looks ok.
But can i have more common hills.
Something like 7** and 6*** instead of 17****
Buhmann wrote:I am not sure...i would primarily like to see if there are any bugs. And for the extreme KMs is the biggest danger. So that is the reason why we have this in the short races.

Quick

Post by Quick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Buhmann wrote:The sense of the changes is, that the classic races works fine. So why wait till they are ended?
Because teams plan their whole year just for this month and changing the balance and possible outcome a week before the race is disgusting.
J-Czucz hype train

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:52 am

I don´t see any problems if balance changes a little bit. It is in my opinion not neccessary that all is calculatable.
Furthermore: I think (and the community also told it) that this is not a new feature but a bug fix. There is no really balance change. Only in case it did not work before. So I don´t know why we should wait. But it is the decision of the community. I really thought that is is desired to solve the problems before all the important races are finished. But maybe I am wrong. But then the problems can´t be as big as suspected.

olmania

Post by olmania » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:11 pm

You could make a poll about it ...
but not sure there is time for this :D

skull

Post by skull » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:00 pm

No need for a poll i think.
You can do it right now.
After the Ronde last Sunday the cobbled-hill season is practically over.
Any race with cobbled hills that may come can be used as exercise.
You know you love me.

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:15 pm

As i said. I have fixed the balance bugs for pave and very hard hills. so my question is, shall ilwe use it for the normal races now, so that the fixes are available for tomorrow?

sylvainmeteo

Post by sylvainmeteo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Maybe after PR? I don't know what the others think about it... that would be nice to put a fantasy pavé race in the calendar soon to test it ;)
Team : SM Team
Victoires d'étape : 374 ; dont les 5 monuments et les 3 GTs !
Hall of Fame : Katrasnik: 26724 pts

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:52 pm

After PR ? Bof different than for RVV, it is like if it will change something before or after, always strongers who are in front, let's put it now

sylvainmeteo

Post by sylvainmeteo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:29 am

Almost all the drops at PR 9h was on 3* some riders survived on 2 4* kms and drop at the 3*, 4 and 5* aren't selective enough, 74 pavés survived in the 18h race...

I think implementing it now would be nice as poké said
Team : SM Team
Victoires d'étape : 374 ; dont les 5 monuments et les 3 GTs !
Hall of Fame : Katrasnik: 26724 pts

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:01 pm

Exactly that was the reason i really wanted it for Paris Roubaix, not after...
I would suggest to integrate it on friday. Best day for me to react if there are any bugs.

olmania

Post by olmania » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Buhmann wrote:Exactly that was the reason i really wanted it for Paris Roubaix, not after...
I would suggest to integrate it on friday. Best day for me to react if there are any bugs.
What if we exchange the dates of Cicle Classic and GP della Liberazione ? So, we could have pave race on a Friday you can check (in 10days) ;)

ps: next small bug you can look at, the 0energy guy that is not getting drop on steep km ! maybe it's not that hard to fix and would be done fast ?

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 am

People who have no clue at all about racing and siebing should really not get involved on such a topic.
Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo...

luques

Post by luques » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Luques observation from tests:

1st Test

1) Attacked on the +17 (****) with a climber 87 and 59.9 pavè. Got 28secs over a peloton pulled by 3 77.x pavè men with max 60mountain and 90 flat. He was at (almost) full energy)

2) The steep downhill km looks ininfluent, the flat riders got nothing back on the km after the attack ( -13% and 3*) even with similar downhill skills.

3) On the +9 5*****, a classic 70-79 and 72.7pavè wasn't able to sieb the 3 pavè men that i told up (the weakest has 57mountain), they were doing tempo since the beginning (7kms of red tempo). But he got around 14 secs over the climber.

4) The downhill pavè on the 12km was much influent (-4% and 5*****), the classic man got back 11secs over the climber while having around 100 energies more.

Pokemon Club

Post by Pokemon Club » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:09 pm

luques wrote:Luques observation from tests:

1st Test

1) Attacked on the +17 (****) with a climber 87 and 59.9 pavè. Got 28secs over a peloton pulled by 3 77.x pavè men with max 60mountain and 90 flat. He was at (almost) full energy)

2) The steep downhill km looks ininfluent, the flat riders got nothing back on the km after the attack ( -13% and 3*) even with similar downhill skills.

3) On the +9 5*****, a classic 70-79 and 72.7pavè wasn't able to sieb the 3 pavè men that i told up (the weakest has 57mountain), they were doing tempo since the beginning (7kms of red tempo). But he got around 14 secs over the climber.

4) The downhill pavè on the 12km was much influent (-4% and 5*****), the classic man got back 11secs over the climber while having around 100 energies more.
True that downhill looks strange, but maybe it is because the % are big. Anyway we usually never have -13***** or 17***** in race so let's see in a real race what happen.

olmania

Post by olmania » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:31 pm

on the 9*****
73-79 with 78.4 pave can't sieb a 68-78 with 72pave or a 72-79 with 69pave ... is it normal/ok for both ?

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Buhmann wrote:Exactly that was the reason i really wanted it for Paris Roubaix, not after...
You should never read or take seriously posts by SM. The guy has no clue whatsoever about RSF.

The idiocy "*** siebs more than *****" is the latest proof of it.

The problem is that there are 2 issues with pavé and hill/mountain balance.

Issue nr 1, the one I guess you are trying to address here. Guess, because it's not really clear what your actually doing.

Mountains/hills with pavé don't give "realistic" results. Which is true, although often overstated here. But yes a 9 ***** is much deadlier for the 55-90 with 80 pavé than for the 72-73 guy with 68 pavé. You seem to have been doing something about that, now testing it, good.

Issue nr 2, which is just simply not the same one: Low energy on pavé AND on hills. See Borthwick who got 7 in the Amstel Gold race, because the escape group never siebed him when he was at 0 energy.
The same problem on pavé with low energy. The incredibly clueless SM was talking about that issue here. There guys with little or no energy were not dropped on ***** but later on ***. And for some reason a pretty much dead group will lose LESS on flat pavé than on just normal flat with asphalt and all that modern stuff. While they should be losing MORE. (On hills that part actually works, tempo with low energy guys will lose you lots of time... but on pavé it's buuuuuggggyyyy)
That issue nr 2, which I guess you're not addressing here.
Once again, just for you, issue 2 is:

- On pavé riders with low energy don't lose much time. (And actually green has the same or an even better result than going red (But not sure about the better part anymore)
- On pavé riders with low energy hang on longer in hard pavé sections than they should
- On mountains riders with low energy are not dropped, while they should.

Are you doing something about issue nr 2 as well? It's really the MUCH bigger issue than nr 1....and probably somehow related to "minimum tempo"
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Issue 2 is hopefully fixed as well. Would be nice if someone can give me feedback if it is working as expected or not?