Suggestion: clock

Discussion about technical stuff and suggestions for improvement.

Moderator: systemmods

Team Lidwinia

Suggestion: clock

Post by Team Lidwinia » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:27 pm

I was in a race when after an hour a guy entered the chat:
Petit Singe: So 12h means 11h in portugal.
Petit Singe: We already told you a few days ago... not your time, it's Central European Summer time...
Darth Maul: my clock says 12:22, with these situations will give this game
Team Schlonz: meaning UTC+2
Darth Maul: it is difficult to participate in races
Team Schlonz: @Darth Maul: the time indicated in the schedule is CEST
Pepici: It is 13:20 :-)
Darth Maul: I can not understand this clock, it's 12:17 and the race is practically at an end?
My suggestion is simple: for people living in other time zones, a clock on the page should be an outcome for problems like this one. Is that hard to implement? A simple corner-of-the-screen clock should suffice, like at http://www.freekick.org for instance.

Robyklebt

Re: Suggestion: clock

Post by Robyklebt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Lidwinia was faster, damned dutch, all doped, I'm sure.
Robyklebt wrote:C4F/RSF/Buh's jewel goes global, but then we need to get everybody to know when races start. We already had a topic about that once, but again.

Either make that the display of race starts adjusts to your timezone, to the time of your own computer, or put a clock ingame that shows the Hernetime. Scared of sectricking, then do it the other way, don't care, but it's needed.
Darth Maul: I can not understand this clock, it's 12:17 and the race is practically at an end?
Like this guy, ok, we told him a few days ago, he forgot again, most people will remember it after one time, but for the first race... many simply won't know. Then come online and see nothing, race finished, team out, or no race, race over, and don't really know why at first.
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Team Lidwinia

Post by Team Lidwinia » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 pm

All of us!

I agree with Roby that there are two possibilities. I suggested some time zone tracking thingy in the race chat, but I guess a clock is easier to implement, so thats what I suggested. We can also have both, I think.

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Yes, a clock is easy to implement. Show everybody his own clock could be complicated becasue every team is allowed to ride one race per day. But then everybody would have his own daay...As i said, complicate.

Pirkio

Post by Pirkio » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:34 pm

clock of server is the best thing
----------------------------------------------
Motorizzati Corse

We're back!

Team Lidwinia

Post by Team Lidwinia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:01 pm

I think the server clock is best too. If you were to implement the other option, it'd have to be very thorough. Find out by ip-adress where one is logged in, then change ALL time time thingies to match the zone. Would be cool, but I think a clock is enough :)

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Team Lidwinia wrote:Find out by ip-adress where one is logged in
You can also ask people to set up a timezone in their profile... GMT+1 etc... As on almost every forum or game.

But ok then you have to adapt the times of the races to the shown clock.
Well actually, that isn't so difficult because it's a simple and automated calculation.

For people living in China for example, with a ECT timeclock, they have to calculate twice. Firts, how much difference between ECT and their timezone, then at what local time the race starts. Quite inconvenient, isn't it ?
Perhaps I'm missing something...

Deuse's friend Edith says: with an option to select your timezone, and race-times which are adapted to the selected timezone, you don't even need a clock.
Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo...

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:05 pm

NoPikouze wrote:
Team Lidwinia wrote:Find out by ip-adress where one is logged in
You can also ask people to set up a timezone in their profile... GMT+1 etc... As on almost every forum or game.

But ok then you have to adapt the times of the races to the shown clock.
Well actually, that isn't so difficult because it's a simple and automated calculation.

For people living in China for example, with a ECT timeclock, they have to calculate twice. Firts, how much difference between ECT and their timezone, then at what local time the race starts. Quite inconvenient, isn't it ?
Perhaps I'm missing something...

Deuse's friend Edith says: with an option to select your timezone, and race-times which are adapted to the selected timezone, you don't even need a clock.
yeah that would be better
buhmann wrote:Show everybody his own clock could be complicated becasue every team is allowed to ride one race per day. But then everybody would have his own daay...As i said, complicate.
well thats a problem indeed but i dont see how to fix that
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 am

A clock is still necessary. Especially if some day you actually want Australians, New Zealanders, Americans, Canadians etc playing the game. Right now they check into the game, race at 20h, ok, it's 19.00 excitedly by riders, inscribe, wait, wait, well, what the fuck is this shit, 20:15, crap game doing nothing, nothing, nothing happening? 50% gone after that, the other 50% research a bit, after looking around maybe they ask in the chat, and see, oooooooh, it's xx'xx... what weirdo time is that? Research further, oh, it's CET, what the fuck, holy mary drinking semen, damn crazy euro pussy time, don't want to have to spend half an hour calculating what time it's in my civilized part of the world, fuck this, and 50% of the 50%, means another 25% are gone too... the remaining 25% then try, figure out after a while that the times for them to play are just not there, and well, 5% stay, 95% gone. 75% because of the horrible information regarding the time.

Can I praise you? Good job.

Get something done, now. Meaning today. Whatever, a clock, some personalized extra time with turning arrows, whatever, but make it visible to everybody immediately and easily as soon as they entered the game WHEN for god's sake those races are. So, do it, today. Being ahead of time I just praised you before it's done.
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:40 am

A clock is the minimum requirement. Better would be a solution that for every team this time is shown and every team has his own change of day. But a little bit too complicated, so the clock(which i wanted implement since weeks :oops: ) have to be enough for the moment.

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 am

Buhmann wrote:A clock is the minimum requirement. Better would be a solution that for every team this time is shown and every team has his own change of day. But a little bit too complicated, so the clock(which i wanted implement since weeks :oops: ) have to be enough for the moment.
Why not give the user the option to set his clock by himself? Of course not minute by minute, but by time zone? Let's say you use MET (+1) as standard time zone, develop a scroll down option in the profile menu to set the clock and other time settings (race start times, etc.) accordingly (e.g. GMT +0). Is that possible/complicated?).

Edith thinks that the chance of the day may also be the same for everybody. For some it's at 24:00 for others at 17:00 or at 05:00... Don't think this would be a big problem.
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 pm

But when start the races. At 4.3.2012, 5.3.1012? And the rule one race per day is for other countries a litte bit complicated or?

Or do you think it is enough, if the date and clock columns are individual for the players and the other thinks like now? This would be of course possible without big problems.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Every team its own change of day? What for? That I can ride the same race twice if I like it?

One day race today: 10-15-18-21-23. For me it's 17-22-01-04-06. Give me my individual day change at midnight, I right at 22h, then since I liked the race that much at 04 or so again. 1 day change for the whole game. Write down when that is somewhere.

Then, either just a simple CET clock somewhere, everywhere. Without seconds, or if you want seconds, then maybe don't put it in the race screen. We don't want to encourage sec-tricking too much.
Or, let every user chose his time, all the times will be given in his time then. Then yes, you need to mention when the day change is more clearly almost everywhere.

Just a clock is simple and good enough probably. Do it .

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Robyklebt wrote:Do it .
sign that :)

team fl

Post by team fl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:25 am

nice

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 am

Edit 2: Forget everything, now everything perfect

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:50 am

Hmm. But changed nothing since yesterday evening. So only your fault, not a bug?

team fl

Post by team fl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:54 am

Btw, since I have been logged in, the clock is not working anymore

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 am

Not working means? You don´t see a clock or the time does not change?

team fl

Post by team fl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:07 am

I see the clock, but I don't see a date or a time. just a small white box

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:12 am

Same browser? Should not have anything to do with the login. On very site the same problem?

team fl

Post by team fl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:20 am

Buhmann wrote:Same browser? Should not have anything to do with the login. On very site the same problem?
Yes, and yes.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 am

That was the same problem I had first with Firefox, but then all of the sudden it worked and keeps working.

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 am

But now everytime or only when you are logged in?

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:24 am

Hmm. Press F5, i think you will have the old version in the cache. But then the login problem makes no sense...