Taking a wheel = Cost in energy

Discussion about technical stuff and suggestions for improvement.

Moderator: systemmods

gaurain rx

Taking a wheel = Cost in energy

Post by gaurain rx » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:46 pm

No real basic cycling basement on it. I don't really know if being focussed on somebody else wheel costs energy 'surely psychologic energy, concentration). But ok, a little cost/km (1 energy/km, maybe more at the end of the race (quand ça frotte pour se placer devant)) for taking the wheel of somebody else is my idea.

Why :

1. Avoïding off wheel taking. Ok, it can be really usefull when we can't be there in one stage on a tour but on the other hand, it's really boring when somebody is offline on your wheel.

2. I find that in rsf, it's to easy to take another one's wheel and to go with. I think this can make it harder... And be a good point for escapers. Personally, I dislike having 10 guys in my wheel when I attack at 40km from the finish (hillsprinters or so);

3. Helping the attacking one. Followers have their advantage (lose less energy by following an attack). I think the attacking guys (and they are really a few on rsf) can have their little advantage too.

Bad point of this Ideas :

1. "Obliged" to take the wheel for a sprint at the last moment (program it sooner costs energy). It's not really the goal of my proposal. I find it normal that we can choose our wheel for sprint before the end of the stage.

2. As I said, dangerous to be offline on one tour stage (probability not to take the choosen wheel). And I think lots of managers are not always online all the days in a tour (real life exists :-)

Idea not the best... Must make it better. I wait for your comments! And not easy to explain it in english.

Buhmann

Re: Taking a wheel = Cost in energy

Post by Buhmann » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:50 pm

In my opinion your disadvantage nr. 2 is really big. And i don´t think, that following somebody else is to easy and to ofetn at the moment. But i´m looking forward to other opinions.

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 pm

It's very common to use a sitter when somebody is unable to be online for a stage in a stage race. So disadvantage nr 2 is no big deal.

And like said before in an other thread: first followers should lose more energy than the followers of the follower.

gaurain rx

Post by gaurain rx » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Luna wrote:It's very common to use a sitter when somebody is unable to be online for a stage in a stage race. So disadvantage nr 2 is no big deal.

And like said before in an other thread: first followers should lose more energy than the followers of the follower.
Well, don't really understand the link with the discussion!

kielgy

Post by kielgy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:05 am

beer! maybe whiskey...
Team Erkrath RS 8)

"Wer Rückenwind hat, fährt zu langsam!"
"You re too slow, if you still got tailwind!"

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:09 am

I think it would be good if following a rider would last only for a certain duration. Nobody can really follow the same guy for 200kms, but something like 10 or 20km of focussing is more realistic, and then it gets automatically removed and you have to put it back in the settings if you want to keep doing it. It's a little bit more like real focus in my opinion, you have to "refresh" it to keep doing it well.
But ok, usually my ideas are bad :D
Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo...

gaurain rx

Post by gaurain rx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 am

kielgy wrote:beer! maybe whiskey...
I prefer "Pecket" :-)

gaurain rx

Post by gaurain rx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:37 am

NoPikouze wrote:I think it would be good if following a rider would last only for a certain duration. Nobody can really follow the same guy for 200kms, but something like 10 or 20km of focussing is more realistic, and then it gets automatically removed and you have to put it back in the settings if you want to keep doing it. It's a little bit more like real focus in my opinion, you have to "refresh" it to keep doing it well.
But ok, usually my ideas are bad :D
Well, It fills goal 1 so I like it!

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:43 am

gaurain rx wrote:
Luna wrote: And like said before in an other thread: first followers should lose more energy than the followers of the follower.
Well, don't really understand the link with the discussion!

The link is in Why Nr 2 and Why Nr 3 of your original posting. Imagine a select group of 40 riders in the final x kms of a race. One rider is 88 flat. 10+ guys hang onto the wheel of him. Was it a disadvantage of energy to follow the 88 directly, some would rather chose a rider from whom they hope, he will follow the 88, only to pay less energy than the one who follows directly. The same in smaller group, but even more effective. Closing the gap to the attacker would be more expensive than only following the follower. So less mangers would hang their riders onto the most likely attacker. That's an advantage for the attacking guy. And it would be more difficult to constantly chose the right wheel to stay part of the desired group while paying as few energy as possible.

Radunion

Post by Radunion » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:25 am

I support Lunas idea to make the initial following more expensive. This could make the races more interesting.

But I am sceptical about the energy cost for keeping an eye on another rider. This could make it favourable to change the settings very often (e.g. before and after every hill).

Another option is to make the following setting not 100 % effective. Depending on the size of the group there could be an event "cannot try follow due to position in pelOton". This means the rider doesn't try to follow the attacker and looses no energy. This makes offline following more risky. I am not sure about this idea, as it sometimes replaces strategy by luck.

gaurain rx

Post by gaurain rx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Well, I support Luna's Idea... And the Pikouze one too :)