Afternoon Giro 2022, 15h

Discuss about the RSF Races

Moderator: englishmods

Robyklebt

Re: Afternoon Giro 2022, 15h

Post by Robyklebt » Mon May 30, 2022 5:22 am

Over and done, surprisingly Boaz won. Not Basterretxea, not sure how that could happen. :lol:

4 riders within a minute, so close, but it wasn't really that close. Not automatic either. Unai kind of blocked Trakhtenbrot, he couldn't let him gain too much time, so that gave the others some freedom. 31" to Berg, 47" Unai, 48" Asier, then a bit further back Pagie at 1'44". So basically 1 mistake and it becomes really tight, but AAD didn't make that mistake, and Berg and Asier failed to follow Pagie on the day where some more time gain seemed possible. In the end the time gained on Etna was important for Boaz, but again, if the time isn't there then, he probably rides it differently and takes the risk losing a bit more to Unai on another day, he still would have been in control, but that extra cushion allowed him not to be too worried about Berg/Basterretxea/Pagie after that. I'm happy to say that the non-block on Etna wasn't my fault, Ardila was ahead...

As AAD said, Moja and the siebs of course blocked Gipfel/Donkey a bit at times, more Donkey than Gipfel, due to the lack of top classics, but IMO the siebs made sense for Moja, especially in the second part of the Giro to me looked like a sensible tactic. Maybe the attack with Schröder to try to open up something for Berg (who then is probably followed though) was missing a bit, maybe less reliance on following for Berg early, but go yourself, last 2 mountain stages basically, but otherwise sensible tactic for Moja, so why shouldn't he do that, nothing wrong with it. Donkey/Gipfel could try to profit from Bahrain and his quest for the maglia azzurra.

In the end AAD just rode well, so not leaving us any obvious openings, finally none of us behind can really have big regrets. Some better concentration at times for me, helping, not watch the Giro on at least one stage.... see who follows how many times, possibly cost Asier a stage... but then Charles wouldn't have won the last stage. Ha. And that was one of the reasons I didn't ride with him there. The other being that I thought Unai would win, 1 follow, still as strong or stronger than Asier... grr, was 2. But that's details that wouldn't have changed much really.
And a big concerted attack, all 3, didn't make much sense either, after all only 1 can win in the end...and I don't really care if it's Berg or Pagie or Trakhtenbrot, Basterretxea the goal, if he doesn't win it, doesn't matter to me who wins it. Even Unai was allowed :D

Finally 2 stages, I thought fairly early I would end up with 0 to be honest. Then the lucky Basterretxea stage, then giving away a Gabel sprint due to inattention again, a possible Asier win as mentioned above, the Drinkwater TT win was necessary. With 99 form and finally fit, was hoping it would be enough, but didn't think Siim would be that weak, and wasn't sure at all about how strong Boaz would be in the mountain. 8" more than I thought, but beating him seemed possible. For stage.

Missed the podium for 1", but that doesn't really bother me, I was 4th in my to favorite Giri, 06 and 08, so that brings back good memories. Guevara-Kharlamov and the crazy Fedaia attack, Fedaia-Pordoi then something more, x climbers, Radler, Fledermaus, offliner riding like crazy for many km against ZB defending in the back. Even Sitzmann and Tismeanu (76+83/4/5? later trained to 88, but wasn't there yet) ending in autotempo... Or 08, Helios with attacks on every single mountain stage, second before the final TT after a great ride over Gavia-Mortirolo, but while overtaking the unfit rosa, 3 more riders overtook him, that was a great Giro! So fourth, I like fourth, even if this Giro didn't come close to the 2 mythic Giri of 06+08, but that's difficult to achieve anyway. We all hadn't really understood the concept of fitness that much, at least 06, it was often all out and completely unfit a day later, except ZB, the man who introduced concern for fitness into the afternoon!
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Mon May 30, 2022 9:46 am

Don't get me wrong on that point (though I don't think you do). I don't question the sieb tactic from Moja. It really makes sense with his team to ride like that. Even though he kind of missed the second part of the tactic, which is attacking. It was more or less always the same, my K&K tempobolzer brought everybody to the first mountain, Moja siebing parts of my supporter team or all of my team except for the climber and than rides, rides, rides, concentrates on side goals.

In fact, the big concerted attack was what I was really afread of in the last week. Moja did at least one of such tries in previous stage races (Ardilla/Berg at Dec Tour?). And yes I did a lot of mistakes, beginning with the Aprica stage where fanta reacted perfectly after my laissez-faire approach, why taking the risk in a back-to-back mountain finish stages duo? Another big mistake not riding tempo on the +8 AND +12 at the Valico di Santa. Any attack there would have totally won Rosa that day + riding there would have never brought Asier back into the fight. Another of this failure at the Castelmonte stage when Gip/Moja wanted to profit from it by attacking and gaining 1:20 with a green attack that forced Boaz to follow Pagie.

BUT in general a good riden Giro for Boaz. Not losing but winning time at the Rifugio Sapienza stage while riding blindfolded after the pave sieb, not losing time at the Cogne which really still surprises me and I also profited from the stage constellation and Moja tempo with Mayer.

18 days in Rosa also really nice, once having it, wanted to wear it as long as possible, because in RSF you don't profit from not wearing Rosa early. Gave Boaz some extra points even if he didn't win a stage (still sad). But today he again wears the RSF leader jersey. YEAH.
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

team fl

Post by team fl » Mon May 30, 2022 9:49 am

Not much to add, hope the final statistic will be done by somebody less lazy then me :). Overall I really liked this years' edition, which might be influenced by 5 stage wins and Marxer winning the Ciclamino. But even besides that I liked it, although my online quota could have been better and the appFL stages were rather stresful with real life intervening constantly (what annoying construct this real life...). Anyway, thanks all for the experience and GW to all winners, esp. AAD with an excellent performance for Rosa!
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.

Gipfelstuermer

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Mon May 30, 2022 10:15 am

Belated GW to all winners, especially AAD and Boaz for the maglia rosa! Also, belated final statistics below. Everything belated because I missed the final ITT as I was a volunteer here at the local bike race (which I should have designed and proposed for the calender, but as always too many other things to do... improving react version etc...).

But of course it fits into the picture. Missed the first ITT (the first important seconds lost there for Pagie), missed the last ITT. Not ideal this Giro with so many half-online teams of course, including me but also Bahrain, Falken, FL, Mosca, only roughly 50% online or via app. Then, Mosca even less, so had to abandon. Not ideal. I am happy that we had 9 teams, which is really OK and basically average GT participation for last 2 years. So please continue to participate even if you have only 50% time. More time always better of course.

So far so good, some analysis on the race.
flockmastoR wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:15 pm
Surprisingly, no attacks at the Pellegrino (expected at least Mayer+Schröder or Wunderlich, ok Donkey classics not good enough for an attack here probably).
Generally, it was surprising to me to see so few GC attacks during three weeks. Instead, people worked really really hard for the stage wins. Almost every stage was ridden like a one day race with the stage favo going all-in for it and co-stage-favos helping. There were good reasons for it. Design by RCS Sport was really weak, with very few back-to-back mountain stages. Then people being offline/on app a lot, so they go all-in for stage when they are online. Makes sense. But one consequence was that AAD had to control less (but also he goes home without a stage win). Then for GC, Unai with the sucking strategy, Moja with the siebing strategy, Donkey waiting for the right moment. All reasonable and all had their successes (TMA podium and 2 stages for Unai, Moja youth and team classement. Donkey 2 stages). Personally, I would have wished for more attacking from the GC candidates. If you are on 2 or 3 or 4, try to aim for maglia rosa... maybe it works, maybe it doesn't... what can happen, other than falling from 2 to 3 or 4 or 5...
Robyklebt wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:29 pm
The day to try IMO was yesterday for GC, to put your guys under reg, and then try again today... but yes, don't have the classics, and somehow they often weren't fit, today both not at 1000 either I think. But pretty fit.
Pagie tried! And failed! So he was not an idol for the other ones to try... In the end, 18 stages in maglia rosa seems bit too much or a bit too easy for AAD. Should have seen more attacks on that, but maybe it's a natural result with Boaz as strongest climber and strongest TT amongst climbers (but the other ones seemingly in touching distance). But AAD controlled in an excellent way, too. Almost every Gip attack... AAD reacted quick and rode hard.... had a very strong group of helpers, too. So not easy to attack him.
Weezel wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:43 am
In the meantime I'm also in opinion, that I should have cooperated with AAD to secure Unais podium in GC.
It's a big discussion in C4F since years. Some are more in the "all or nothing"-mentality: Only a victory counts. Others view a podium place as a succes. I can understand, if you are happy with a podium place. It is some success. Some people used to list those in their Palmares. Probably I was in that camp before, especially in the time where we had 15-20 teams in a Grand Tours. Now I'm probably more all-or-nothing. We ride races. Yes, it means we ride against each other. So I'd prefer less cooperation and more racing against each other in GC. But of course, once you decide to cooperate, chase down attacks together with the maglia rosa team or even alone... then you could also continue that strategy on the final climb for the stage win of course.

For the future, I have some optimism that participation goes up again. Alkworld putting in really good work on the react version, we'll have new releases more or less regular. Maybe some campaign before the Tour, so very optimistic scenario to have more players for the Tour, even though afternoon Tour might struggle. Some teams from the Giro already signalled that holidays and other things might get in the way of a Tour participation. I am saying: Just participate with a cheap stage hunting team. Then no problem to be off some days (as proven by many teams this Giro). That's what I will do. But not sure if afternoon or evening.

Standings after 21/21 Stages:
0:00 Boaz Trakhtenbrot (Alive And Dead)
+31" Toni Berg (Team-Mojabahs)
+47" Unai Agirrezabala (T-Mobile-A)
+48" Asier Basterretxea (Big Donkey)
+1'44" Pierre Pagie (Gipfelstuermer)

Maglia Ciclamino: Magnus Marxer (Team FL)
Maglia Azzurra: Thomas Mayer (Team-Mojabahs)
Maglia Bianca: Jonas Wunderlich (Team-Mojabahs)
Trofeo fast team: Team-Mojabahs

Days in Maglia Rosa
18 Boaz Trakthenbrot (Aliva And Dead)
2 Siim Liivik (T-Mobile-A)
1 Alvaro Balanta (Falkenbier)

Stage wins by riders:
4 Magnus Marxer (Team FL)
2 Mika Antomäki (Bahrain-Merida)
2 Alvaro Balanta (Falkenbier)
2 Unai Agirrezabala (T-Mobile-A)
1 Thabani Mbule (Falkenbier)
1 Siim Liivik (T-Mobile-A)
1 Aaron Armleder (Team FL)
1 Jussi Hautamäki (Bahrain-Merida)
1 Giacomo Gerbi (Gipfelstuermer)
1 Asier Basterretxea (Big Donkey)
1 Thomas Mayer (Team-Mojabahs)
1 Pierre Pagie (Gipfelstuermer)
1 Aldo Abbiati (Gipfelstuermer)
1 Toni Berg (Team-Mojabahs)
1 Charles Drinkwater (Big Donkeys)

Stage wins by teams:
5 Team FL
3 Falkenbier
3 Bahrain-Merida
3 T-Mobile-A
3 Gipfelstuermer
2 Big Donkey
2 Team-Mojabahs
GIP MASTERPLAN
Gameplay: Flexible Min-Tact. Improve Sprint System. Windkante.
Marketing: Re-attract old players. Advertisement. Social Media.
New Players: Fair Start Budget, New Tutorial.
Fairplay: Improve FPC features, Fair Prize Money Disribution.