Spring Classics 2021

Discuss about the RSF Races

Moderator: englishmods

Robyklebt

Re: Spring Classics 2021

Post by Robyklebt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:04 am

Bah.... went to the morning because in the afternoon we were only 2 at that point. Then 5 in the morning, more in the afternoon. Should have stayed.

Group seemed likely to end in a sprint, with 3 teams with hillsprinters, 1 team with a flat one. Not much happening, Falkenbier, the only one without a sprinter, max 69 (or 67) sprint in the escape, The troll controlling. Otherwise all calm. Except that at one point between the 2 Kemmelberg passages the Donkey found himself alone in the peloton... :o First the troll, then Moja and Mosca attacked from the peloton, wasn't completely sure what the point was in all 3 cases, serious attacks or trying to bring riders over? But well, had to ride and chase then. Which didn't really hurt me either at this point, the helpers down in energy weren't going to get over the Kemmelberg anyway. Sieb by Totakhyl at the Kemmelberg, 3 hill sprinters in front, the flat sprinter in the back. Trying to get back, but inept chasing there really. Early when not everybody seemed convinced to ride yet, took me going out to get the 2 others in, then riding with not super fit guys, he kept his 2 good helpers in front. Dropping them at a point where Lanz could be used already... dropped to late. In front biggest danger then was that the Mosca sprinter, Würtz Schmidt, would follow an attack by Falkenbier... but didn't. Kuusk tried, got up to 4", but think even Lanz on yes alone could have possibly gotten him back after a few km with all, probably energy wise already the same. But Oss 89 did the job. Sprint, Moja with a train, a stupid sprint out at some point too, Schnell was so strong that he didn't need that to devalue his win really. Löffel at 200, thought at 150 probably Schnell goes himself, but no chance at all, even if Schnell didn't go at 150 but only Löffel, he still would have gotten him easily. Third position too far back, but as well Schnell just very very strong. He even could take a break on Löffels wheel for 50 meters, risking that Würtz gets it, but he flew past him again in the last 50 meters Third place finally for Löffel. There really wasn't anybody else I could ride for there, maybe escape, but with my other sprint values.. hard.

5 teams, so yeah, same as Harelbeke, just not that exciting. This time having a rider that has realistic winning chances made it a bit more interesting of course, The biggest regret of the day is still changing time, the afternoon group ended up being bigger.. argh.
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:54 pm

Dwars door Vlaanderen only 5 teams as well, surprising since nothing parallel... ah, Sicilia, ok. But no afternoon edition, in the continued war against the afternoon... Bah, hoped for more.

Then... 2 AAD goes, Hirschmoser and Nöbauer. In the back: CC with Lim, 80 sprint. Not riding. Donkey with Löffel, 78, not riding. Mosca with an 88 but more probably a 78 leader, WürtzSchmid not online, not riding. Came on, still not riding. Seven Down without a sprinter, obviously not riding.

AAD offline after a while, at 13' his 2 guys stop, in the back nothing, he comes on again, up to 19 minutes, and then with the first difficulty of the day we started in the back.

Situation between the sprinters was: Lim and Würtz Schmid with pavé, not much mountain. Löffel mountain, not much pavé. First some hills without pavé, then the pavé section, in the end 2 more (or 1) non-pavé hills. For me the goal was not to be dropped at the Stationsberg thing, 2 km at ***. Dropping the others in the final hills not really in the plan necessarily. After all I rode for 2 guys, Lanz for the most likely hopeless attack on the last * pavé and Löffel for the sprint.

Riding early? Certainly not first. If Mosca or CC start, ok, I can join, but probably out again if the third one doesn't join too (if online at least) Neither started, so we didn't do anything.
First hill, then my preemptive sieb and go with Vasco, ride until the pavé section where Löffel was at risk, then get caught, worked exactly like that, after the pavé the sprinters were all together. If we're all together before the pavé I risk having to chase with a rather sizeable deficit... Probably come back with the hills in this group, but rather avoid the chase.
After that still 15 or so minutes back, or maybe 13' again, then..... AAD offline again, in the back chase, but not overly fast, AAD comes back online just in time, in the end 1'35" saved. If he stays on it's lots and lots more of course. Like this, if we'd gone full power from the moment the siebing started, ok, we maybe can get him, half a minute faster easily possible, more really only if we ride perfectly. But that was unlikely with Lanz having my no 1, supposed the rest knew that Lanz would try his thing at the pavé. So need to keep flat guys fresh. Lanz got 4", but then his 4 man group with Moretti and 2 Seven Downs lost 1" per km. Bah, didn't think would gain that much, but didn't think would lose it all that fast either.

In front Hirschmoser an easy and somewhat absurd win, but fully deserved. In the back Lim wins the sprint, WürtzSchmid second, Löffel third. Usually I'm not really happy when a group manages to go through like that, nobody trying, a semi classic, but here... somehow ok, regardless of the result Löffel got in the back. With Mosca off for much of the first part.. .ok. With CC not wanting to ride, probably scared of possible Löffelsiebs after the pavé.. ok. Hirschmoser winning was ok for me.

One more of these annoying hilly pavé things, RVV before we are finally done with the hills and have flat pavé! Samuel Lanz is excited. We're a bit scared all this hillriding might cost him some flat power on the 5th early in the morning..... but we'll see.
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Bear

Post by Bear » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:04 pm

Afternoon edition seems not too exciting :)

22:00 was quite nice ;) No early group. Later Nopik goes with one rider. BBRC chasing a little. First 7% nobody siebed. Everything working fine for me. Plan was to keep it together until 3***,-2***. That worked out as Leso siebed only at the 8%. Otokar and a rider of BBRC brought back the group from behind.

Then pavé, sieb with Tyler. TKO (100 form, no fighting, helping Joel) and Joel (95 form, no fighting) dropped and only two guys keeping up with Tyler: Gabriel Pires (S L Benfica) + Loick DeSloover (Berliner Bären RC). A little gap to the rest of the field. TKO riding in first group and gap became much bigger soon. First some chasing in second group but later they waited for next groups.

Gap was to over a minute soon. With 33km to go, Tyler took over again at 8%, TKO dropped. Others with 55mtn and 53mtn stayed in front with Tyler and Joel. Joel the favourite with 60 sprint (only 77 flat), Loick with 56 sprint and 88flat and Pires with 83 flat and 45 sprint. Tyler did a good job to keep the gap big, around 1:45 max. But the peloton did not get much time back. Then Joel doing the 5% to show some good attitude. Loick joined at some flat km. Later also Pires joined a little bit. Actually I feared an attack at 2** but wasnt there. So Tyler brought the group to the last km. BBRC with an attack (possibly a mistake) and Joel followed. Pires followed too and so did Tyler. Tyler opens the sprint from the front. Loick started a strange sprint and then slowed down. Tyler kept the speed high. Loick launched the sprint at 250 or 200. Joel did not follow but started the sprint 50m later and was strong enough to get the win. Pires followed and got second. He actually got closer to the win as expected. But win was not really in danger during the sprint.

Really nice win as it worked out as planned and I could use the strength/skills of my riders.

Peloton came in with a sprint one minute after front group. Leso won with his 84 hillsprinter:

01. 00:00:00 Joel Robert (Bearclaw Cycling)
02. 00:00:00 Gabriel Pires (S L Benfica)
03. 00:00:00 Loick DeSloover (Berliner Bären RC)
04. 00:00:00 Tyler Medaglia (Bearclaw Cycling)
05. 00:01:01 Patrick Diffo (lesossies)
06. 00:01:01 Fabrizio Miccoli (Carrera Blue Jeans)
07. 00:01:01 Sun Bak (Idéfix)
08. 00:01:01 Felice DeAngelis (Carrera Blue Jeans)
09. 00:01:01 Ferdinand Hoogervorst (NoPikouze)
10. 00:01:01 Doroteo Wierer (Carrera Blue Jeans)

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:28 pm

Evening sounds more interesting... but not going to ride at 5 or so in the morning :lol:

RVV next, Donkeys are ready. And as usual in the last years no rider that really fits for it.

1 S. Lanz: I'm ready. I feel well, even if the Donkey told me that my form planning is for Amstel, I feel much better than I should. Clearly I'm not an obvious favorite on a parcours like this, but I have no doubt that I will be there in the end.
2 A. Brotcorne: Yes, I'm 37, but I'm also Belgian, of course I'm here and of course I think I can help Lanz well.
3 T Espariat: Hm, I ride or not? The Donkey is changing his mind every few minutes, so now I have to ride again? Ok for me. No personal ambitions here this year. Ready to help.
4 B. Faye: Too many cobblestones, would be a much nicer race without them. But they are somehow overrated, somebody who can pass those hellingen like me can do well. My role? Not sure yet, haven't talked with the Donkey about it. Expect Lanz leader, behind him some guys with liberties, I might be one of them.
5 G. Moretti: As a 60-80 with 80 pavé I'm the natural leader here. 56 mountain only, same as Lanz you say? On paper, yes, but I have the attitude of a 60-80, while Lanz has that of a flat pavé rider. Just because he developed a certain ability on hills, equal to mine right now it seems, doesn't mean he's really as good, as natural as me on the hellingen. Normal riding here would mean that Lanz helps me, officially we're going for him, but that might be Donkey misinformation? You'll see, as I said, I'm the logical leader here.
6 M. Stakhanov: I'm here to help this time, even if with my sprint ability I might be our best chance for the win. But I really don't enjoy the hellingen that much, I rather don't go into the red here, better to save myself for Roubaix in a week. I might do some early siebs, who knows, otherwise just look after Lanz.
7 V. Teixeira: Here to help obviously, should be able to follow on the hellingen for a while, that's important.
8 I. Totakhyl: I think I have the ability to be in the first group here, no doubt. The problem is that I've lost a bit of my sprint skill, a few months ago I think I would have been able to hope for a good result in a sprint too, but nowadays... really between me, Lanz and Moretti... all the same. I think I still deserve to be protected though, unlike the 2 others I should have no problem at all on the hellingen.
9 E. Trewlove: I'm ready, I think I can do exceedlingly well here. I'm often overlooked, Lanz is better, but no, I'm better in the hellingen, better downhill. Yes, pavé, but again, my skills there are regularly overlooked, I might not be a guy that is favored to win a pure pavé race, but I can defend myself. Sprint? Ok, that's my problem too, but it's not like Lanz will win a sprint most likely. I can be the surprised card here I believe. If I get some freedom to ride for myself at least.

That's the team, with still a question mark over Espariat. Might be that we decide to leave him home and bring Swift. But right now looks like Espariat. We'll check our plans for Pais Vasco, we've written that down on some piece of paper a while back, just a question of locating that paper now.

Goal... to win, but yes, it's once again the monument that fits the team the least. Again, we have a bunch of riders that in our opinion can be in the front group (expecting it to be a biggish one, +/-10 riders) in the end, but none that has a realistic chance of winning a sprint. So it's the eternal question again, wait and if necessary come back after the Paterberg and hope for the right wheel? Difficult for Lanz with his flat. Or anticipate? But the result of that is usually being caught and ending last in the group, we'll decide during the race, after seeing the opponents. Last year we got 7th with Habib Belhassen, our second best result in the last 5 years... This year while we expect the win, a result somewhere between 10-20 won't be a shocking disappointment either...

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:42 am

15th it was... as feared, somewhere between 10 and 20.

But too optimistic regarding coming back with Lanz to the first group, indeed he did come back, but that was more because he was let back by attacks than his strength...

Race.. not much happening at first, 2 CC in the attack, no need to chase.
Some little Stakhanov siebs early
Then 2 Schartners go, I thought a pretty well time attack, that could possibly go far. At this point it seemed unclear if anybody actually wanted to take responsability, of course in a rather big group most of the time there will be somebody, but the longer we're rolling, somehow the less people often want to ride. Good try, but after Freude countered, with Stakhanov, Liquigas in his wheel, in the back Trachenberg (I think) reacted.
Lanz siebing on ***, mostly hoping to have people fighting to be able to drop more of them when the time for a real sieb came.
Some chasing the peloton here and there after that. At this point Sport had taken over the peloton, IMO at times too eager to chase (still Schartner) Dropping rider after rider, having 1 in the next group 2 further back, all within 30". Of course other teams missing riders too, but seemed to hurt him more than others almost, using stronger guys for nothing weakening himself.
After another Lanz sieb, Stationsberg I think, Trewlove brings Totakhyl back, ride and.... 4 riders vs max 3 of others, but I really had no business riding in the peloton, with 48 sprint leaders, so attack at the next Hellingen... Taaienberg? Eikenberg? Whateverberg?. Totakhyl and Moretti, Leader 3 and 2. Thought the timing was quite good on that one actually, just didn't work. But with Sport weakened, not sure how eager others are to ride with their no 3 or 4 from a group back, try and go. 14", the group behind went into tempo, wasn't before. But still ok. Sport then trying another attack, but didn't go far, others in tempo immediately. With that my hope that they would wait for the next group down the road gone.. which was the plan. Group caught, nobody in tempo, Lanz on Sotomayor, Neuner in tempo, Lotto, Murray attacks, Lanz follows because of Sotomayor. Bah... Being slower might have helped. But in that situation after Sport attacking it looked a bit like it might be an attacking race now, nobody wanting to bring the other 60 sprint guys further, but Neuner "saved the day". Decisive moment of the race. If there a group can get 30" it can be hard to come back. Still, I would still do my attack, my chances by doing nothing don't really improve that much, go there, if Sport doesn't attack, but ride, I gain more time, never enough to go through, but maybe enough to have a downhiller for Lanz later... (and I still don't win of course, but little things count) Like this... nobody following didn't help either, only Lim tried, and he's one I didn't really want there anyway... Go in the flat with Trewlove-Moretti better, right after the hill... but if Lim is there still sucky, but maybe others on Trewlove.
But well, didn't work.

After that Schartner rode, not sure why, going for Holyfield now, but Holyfield really needed Murray to come back, with Murray could actually work, didn't really see that, but could. Without? No chance. But attacking with Murray, using him and Noels after that, sort of self-defeating. Bad Gipfel than siebing Lanz. Lim more likely the goal, Lanz still a victim. Ok. Not sure why not let him back then, a fit Lanz IMO would have been in Gipfels and Brandt's interest, but Lanz already wasn't fit with the following, so didn't matter that much anymore. 2 more km to come back, dropped on the first Kwaremont km. Too bad, hoped he stays (without the following earlier) then can sieb lots of guys on the 3***... and then see what happens. Like this, dropped, not coming back. And nothing much happening on the second kwaremont km, the LiqLiq in tempo not strong enough to drop people it seemed. In front after the Paterberg Mersman went, 87 flat, nobody on him, surprising (I wasn't even planning on attacking with Lanz really in case he was there, thought everybody would be on the best flat rider anyway) went through, nice win by Lotto. His Neuner block huge in retrospect. Sotomayor, Brandt, Castroviejo, all weakened there. Hoste-Brandt got away a km later, when the rest attacked too, well Priem, one of the strong sprinters, and the others were following him. So Brandt 2nd Hoste 3rd at 5" finally. The sprinters group could have caught Mersman if they collaborated, sprinters, leaders in, ride, carry the Lotto sprinter with you, but they didn't, attacks left and right, even the Lanz-Wolfowitz-Holyfield group came back like that. Holyfield (in tempo rather late there, not sure what he was waiting for) finally 4th. Lanz second last in the group, so 15th. But after not being able to attack one km from the end, his yes alone in the last km worked, only one in tempo! Little wins, I'm happy.

Finally... satisfied? Not really of course, but not really disappointed either, hoped for a better result, but for me to win with this team a lot of things would have had to work in my favor. Keeping one guy fit to get over the Kwaremont of course better, Lanz was supposed to be that guy, but well.... Totakhyl maybe the other option, He's the least at risk to be dropped, then just follow.. but if he follows Mersman... (which most likely he wouldn't have) Mersman can't ride all those km alone to then lose the sprint, so no real change. Lanz following there, be slower in putting following in, yeah... but I still don't really see a road to victory, even if Lanz managed to sieb all but 5 guys in the last Kwaremont, he still can't sprint. Collaboration between those other 5 still promises not to be there... others likely to come back. In a way the Totakhyl Moretti attack was maybe even my best shot at the win, 40km from the end, 1% chance.... didn't work at all.

Schlede midweek, too easy for us, Messerli-Gabel-Löffel, unbeatable, so we'll give it a pass and go for PR in a week.
Lanz leader, much better chances than here, but of course the lack of sprint will still be an issue. Even if he were to sieb everybody at the Carrefour, going through till the end has never worked for anybody at RSF I think. But doubt he'll sieb everybody anyway... small group better too, sucking to win the sprint. Ah, we'll see... Chances to win much better than here anyway!

Bear

Post by Bear » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:38 am

RVV 21:00

Pre race favourites. I think there was only Carranza (Alkworld) as the one big favourite, especially with Alks team of 55+ mountain guys with good flat and pavé skills. Then there were some classics with 60+ sprint but the teams had some problems with flat skill of their helpers. Then there was Gala with Souza, 67mtn, 75,X pavé and 61 sprint. And there was Joel who had just the advantage in pavé but less mtn, flat, sprint.

My problem. Tyler would lose against Urrutia. Emil would lose against other classics. Joel would lose against Carranza. But after all I thought Joel with some chances if he gets in a sprint with Carranza, Souza and Spadaro. That would have been a much more open sprint. So Joel became the leader.

Early race. Not much happening. Group of 4 and then chase by Fraegg who had the best sprinting classic. But with Alks team, probably no chance. Especially because Alk did not had to ride before the first siebs. After the first Kwaremont... all Alks in front but lots of others siebed. Some siebs later the group was a little smaller. Then attack of 2 Galas with classics of Fraegg and Coro. The escape was looking good for a while but Alk with his team just too strong.

Final. Oude Kwaremont: Tyler in. Sieb was not as strong as expected because he was already a little tired. Some fit and strong classics still in front, Gala with Urrutia and Souza (plus Wallnöfer who was in the late attack) and Alk with Carranza and Louis Trousselier. Plus Tyler with Joel.

Paterberg: Urrutia goes in. Joel siebed (the only guy) and Tyler falls back. Alks rides with Trousselier who was very strong. Tyler was not strong enough to come back, so P11+12. In front Alk hold it together and finished it off in a sprint, dominant race. Souza second, Spadaro third.

What I could have done better? I dont really know. Here and there I could have done helper settings better as I wasnt fast enough to change all the time. Kwaremont with Tyler? Yes, because I hoped that Joel is stronger with his pavé skill. But now I think it would have been better to save energy with Tyler so that I can bring Joel back in front group. Would that be enough for a win... probably not. But the sprint could have been a little more open. So next year I try again... have to find a leader for that soon.

IDF

Post by IDF » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:38 am

Bear wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:38 am
RVV 21:00

Pre race favourites. I think there was only Carranza (Alkworld) as the one big favourite, especially with Alks team of 55+ mountain guys with good flat and pavé skills. Then there were some classics with 60+ sprint but the teams had some problems with flat skill of their helpers. Then there was Gala with Souza, 67mtn, 75,X pavé and 61 sprint. And there was Joel who had just the advantage in pavé but less mtn, flat, sprint.

My problem. Tyler would lose against Urrutia. Emil would lose against other classics. Joel would lose against Carranza. But after all I thought Joel with some chances if he gets in a sprint with Carranza, Souza and Spadaro. That would have been a much more open sprint. So Joel became the leader.

Early race. Not much happening. Group of 4 and then chase by Fraegg who had the best sprinting classic. But with Alks team, probably no chance. Especially because Alk did not had to ride before the first siebs. After the first Kwaremont... all Alks in front but lots of others siebed. Some siebs later the group was a little smaller. Then attack of 2 Galas with classics of Fraegg and Coro. The escape was looking good for a while but Alk with his team just too strong.

Final. Oude Kwaremont: Tyler in. Sieb was not as strong as expected because he was already a little tired. Some fit and strong classics still in front, Gala with Urrutia and Souza (plus Wallnöfer who was in the late attack) and Alk with Carranza and Louis Trousselier. Plus Tyler with Joel.

Paterberg: Urrutia goes in. Joel siebed (the only guy) and Tyler falls back. Alks rides with Trousselier who was very strong. Tyler was not strong enough to come back, so P11+12. In front Alk hold it together and finished it off in a sprint, dominant race. Souza second, Spadaro third.

What I could have done better? I dont really know. Here and there I could have done helper settings better as I wasnt fast enough to change all the time. Kwaremont with Tyler? Yes, because I hoped that Joel is stronger with his pavé skill. But now I think it would have been better to save energy with Tyler so that I can bring Joel back in front group. Would that be enough for a win... probably not. But the sprint could have been a little more open. So next year I try again... have to find a leader for that soon.
Tyler is a monster... as Louis is. That's the problem. :(
[8:11:11 PM] SM: j'ai un bug la j'arrive plus a aller sur RFM

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:24 pm

Paris-Roubaix!

After the hellingen thing finally a race where the chances are a bit better again. LANZ! One of the best pavé riders in the game, possibly even the best active one? Not going to time travel and check, but with 85 pavé he's up there for sure. So today all for him. Amstel form possibly? Chances? Well, no idea about who's there now, was the usual afternoon mostly when I last checked, not sure what they all have either anyway... but basically Lanz needs to arrive alone to win. Or in a group with similarly sprint challenged guys, but at 48 not that easy to find. Alone not easy either, don't really remember a PR solo win... Anton Hasler of course, but since then.. .Sure they exist, but more often than not it's a 3 to 8 man group or so...

Team

1 S. Lanz: Leader
2 A. Brotcorne: Aging, but slowly flat star. Never more than a helper on pavé
3 G. Moretti: 80 pavé, number 2 in the team, last helper for Lanz if all works well
4 F. Quaghebeur: Young belgian flat star that will never be more than a helper on pavé.
5 M. Stakhanov: Number 3 in the team, 79 pavé, hoped for more for him at this point.
6 O. Swift: Reg hero, some pavé, less flat than he used to have, helper
7 V. Teixeira: 60-80 with 72 pavé, here as a pure helper
8 I. Totakhyl: Here as battery mostly, slow early tempo maybe.
9 E. Trewlove: 87 flat, now 74 or 75 pavé, so a good helper, thanks to his flat too. Nr 4 in the team

So really only one option with that team, that's Lanz. Without him, or if he had just 82 pavé riding for Stakhanov with a bit more sprint might be an option, hope to surprise the expected 60+ guys then, but like this. Lanz really number 1, 2 and 3. Doesn't mean Moretti and Stakhanov will stay at his side the whole time, depending on the situation they (or others) might join escapes too.

Behind those 2 the team really isn't that strong, 72 to 75, on Amstel form possibly :lol: Really would have liked to have another 80 pavé with 85 flat or so. Or if not then some 77 pavé. Depending on the opponents might end up with only the top 3 relatively early.. And due to Lanz might end up riding more than a 48 sprint guy, albeit with 85 pavé really warrants. So tactics open until I analyze the starters.. which will be in 20 minutes or so, need to go for another little walk to digest the food...

Bear

Post by Bear » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:58 pm

Afternoon PR:

Nice group of 13 teams. Favourites: Samuel Lanz (Big Donkey), best pavé skill and 48 sprint and Tyler Medaglia (Bearclaw), second best pavé and 47 sprint. Then some 82pavé riders with 5X sprint like: Thijs vantWout (Gipfelstuermer), Yannick VanHout (Liquigas-CND) and the sprinters Lars WürtzSchmidt (Mosca) plus WeeZhun Lim (CircleCycle). Mosca with a strong team for Lars and Gipfel with 3 strong pavé riders.

Escape: SV Furpach opens the race after 21km with a two rider early group. The gap got close to 20min when Donkey started to chase. For the group it's really hard to get through in c4f. Mostly because of energy.

Then the race was very slow for a long time. Just before Arenberg a tiny sieb and attack of two Freude riders. But at Arenberg there was no hard sieb. The favourites all wanted the same. Keep the leaders fit with as many helpers as possible. Actually I wondered why noone even tried sth. Just a mediocore sieb and see what happens.

After around 180km Gipfel prepared his attack with some nice siebs and then went with his strong duo of Vic Vandenbroucke (Gipfelstuermer) and Matthieu Majerus (Gipfelstuermer). 87 flat with around 78 pavé and 83flat with like 82 pavé. Donkey did not panic and continued to chase easy. I joined the chase. The gap got to around 4min max. I thought it might be hard to get this back, but in the end it was no problem with all the sectors to come.

The chase became faster and faster. The peloton became smaller and smaller. I think Lim always had two helpers, Donkey and me just one helper for the leader. Mosca somehow two helpers for some time.

Gipfels attack was caught when the real siebs began. Moretti (Donkey) and KjerOlsen (Bearclaw) started and then Lanz himself siebed at Carrefour very strong so that only the strongest could keep up. By surprise Lim could stay in front with some major fighting spirit for the first km but then was siebed as well. Moscas Lars was dropped before. No attack by Lanz or Tyler at 243km. Probably the right choice in that moment because it might be too far to the end. The remaining riders in front did not cooperate. Gipfel tried for one km with Thijs but nobody joined. Especially Liquigas did nothing although having the best sprint. I would have joined maybe but like this even better. Mosca had to ride behind to comeback and everything was prepared for the last option. *** at km251 with 6km to go.

In tempo Moscas 89flat guy who did already some km and Lim. Dont remember if there was any other guy blocking!? Lanz and Tyler attacking. Both get away quite decent. Tyler one second ahead and with a little more energy. with 60-89-79 the end was perfect for Tyler with 1% and -1%. The gap became bigger and bigger, Tyler won. Great race. 2nd monument in teams history. Lanz did everyhting right except to follow on that one km instead of attacking. But you never know... if we both wait for the other to move its over for both of us. If I ride more afternoon, the Donkey would have known enough of me and follow... most likely?!

So Lanz second. Very strong performance. He really made the race hard and entertaining. After all this siebing did not even cost much more energy than just staying in the group as we found out later. So siebing was a good way of riding, not a mistake.

Behind Lanz it was the sprint for 3rd which Mosca won:

01. 00:00:00 Tyler Medaglia (Bearclaw Cycling)
02. 00:00:08 Samuel Lanz (Big Donkey)
03. 00:00:11 Lars WürtzSchmidt (Mosca)
04. 00:00:11 WeeZhun Lim (CircleCycle)
05. 00:00:11 Yannick VanHout (Liquigas-CND)
06. 00:00:11 Elmurat Tasmuradov (Freudenfeuer)
07. 00:00:11 Thijs vantWout (Gipfelstuermer)
08. 00:00:11 Fabrizio Oss (Mosca)
09. 00:00:22 Henry Fox (Ferrari)
10. 00:00:22 ThomasKjer Olsen (Bearclaw Cycling)

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:50 pm

Didn't bother me much not to win on Sunday (well early Monday here, after midnight I think?) that Lanz only got second, oh well, tried, didn't work, my own fault. But on Monday it kind of pissed me off. Delayed reactions, must be the age :lol: So didn't write a report then, then forgot it...

Bearclaw and Medaglia in the race changed everything. All of the sudden Lanz was really a co-favorite. Without Medaglia he certainly had chances with his pavé, but with the lack of sprint all alone, more difficult. Like this, 2 teams with the same interest, normally have no problem arriving together and sprinting for it, 48-47 sprint, perfect. Then the 2 sprinters cast in the role of evil arch-enemies. Well, I didn't really think one of them could win to be honest. Neither with nor without Medaglia, but probably Medaglia in after all increased their chances? Because of these 2 groups the rest turned out to be in a sandwich... Not good enough to follow Medaglia-Lanz, in attacks, not enough flat to keep Oss away possibly. Without Medaglia they'd have been likely possible allies for Lanz, sort of, I wanted to drop them of course... but again, alone very difficult. But they would have had only to deal with the Donkey, not with Bearclaw too, let the Donkey beat the sprinters, then beat him. Like this, no, they had to create their chance. So Gipfel was fucked from the start, we all know Liquigas isn't able to do that. Doubtful he'd even collaborate with Gipfel if Gipfel had managed to really create a situation where Donkey and Bear, CC and Mosca are in trouble or asking the other "team" to work. Difficult position in the sandwich anyway, but if one of the guys there then usually does nothing at all unless he's the topfavorite, it's really pretty much hopeless.

So expected at least a rather big early group. No, nothing, Furpach, but alone, completely hopeless. Donkey starts, stops, Mosca restarts, then Donkey rejoins. I probably rode most in the chase, but doesn't matter at all, all groups were so far from actually being a danger that don't think that hurt me in any way. Ah ,yes, 6 energy for Lanz. But less the working, more the keeping 1 helper too long. 1 helper, T Mobster mentions 1 is not enough, ah, Lanz 2. He gets to 100, then change that second helper to either Moretti or Stakhanov, kept it there too long, was at 994 before the first pavé. Grrr.

Nothing happening much, Gipfel tries, but that was so far that unless we completely fall asleep in the back that attempt had no chance. Probably sieb and keep riding a bit, attack after the chasers are back better?

One annoying but in the end irrelevant Donkey mistakes somewhere there.. riding with Totakhyl. Wanted to keep Trewlove as a threat. He started at 928, so helper all the way, so not fit, but he looks scary. Ride with Totakhyl lots of pavé... after it's finished.. DAMN. Trewlove was fighting the whole fucking way, killed 2 riders instead of 1. Should have ridden with Trewlove. But didn't matter much.

Arenberg: Nothing happening. I really wanted to sieb with Lanz, but.... my team just not good enough. Top leader. 2 good decent helpers, Moretti and Stakhanov (I'd like them with more flat, but they were good enough) The problem was after, 75 next, no flat, or unfit. I really would have liked to have 77 next, 1 or 2. Like this if I sieb at the Foret.... there is a small risk I end up with 3 riders for a period of time, if somebody with 4 or 5 thinks that's a good chance to weaken the Donkeys at least and rides a bit, I risk chasing for 10-15 km and have my 2 star helpers weakened. No good. Of course with Liquigas being the guy with the best team for that it was unlikely to happen, but still... no risk there. No sieb, with another 77 I would have.

Then the final: Lanz started siebing earlier than the Carrefour, km 231. ****. Reason simple, just on the 2 ***** I'm sure I can't drop everybody, make them fight here. Then km 239+240, 4 pavé as well. And the they are hopefully ripe to drop 242-243 on the 5. That km cost me 13 energy, from 810 to 797. Really should have siebed km 234 as well, think that was the plan, thought I did it, but seems I didn't. Bad. Siebing good! Then rode up with Moretti, and he rode. That IMO probably cost me more energy with regards to Medaglia than the siebing. 232 to 238 without helper, was surprised to see the energy down to 776 (?) at around 236, but well, with the pavé in there in between normal I think. But IMO there I lost another 5 or more energy points to Medaglia, having no helper. But normal, we needed his no 2, Olsen, for the km between the 2 4 pavé and the 2 5. Ok, nobody and rely on others there might work too, but safety.. .seemed wiser to keep him there.
Sieb again at the 4, then the 5, and ok, there in retrospect I should have asked Tyler to ride too in the last 2 km there, Carrefour de l'Arbre together, since it seems he was stronger by then... But don't regret the siebs, even if they probably gave Tyler the energy advantage he needed to win. To maximise my chances, and Tyler's at the same time too of course, IMO doing the pre-siebs was very important, they lose more energy than Lanz by fighting, they will be weaker later.
2 guys stayed, bah. Second 4 earlier enough? Or a nice Arenberg? Or maybe not, anyway they stay. At that moment thought that probably attacking after all would have been better. Far, costs energy, but since that was already lower, bad weather, so lower than in many other years, good for attacks.
But ok, what to do, go out, obviously. Gipfel with vanTWout goes in for the *, LiqLiq with VanHout not. Those 2 together with us, 52+55 sprint if I remember correctly. And now they needed to go in. Why? It was their only chance. Then we can talk about what will happen once they are in and we rejoin (Lanz would have). Medaglia and Lanz promise not to attack on the remaining ***? Or we threaten to attack? But then for them tempo doesn't make that much sense... (even if those 2 blocking would have blocked better than what Oss did later) No attack but yes alone, we then go out after that km would have been ok for me, although with doubts it would work, Liquigas with the best sprint and asked to ride often doesn't work.... so ... anyway, it didn't work. After the * Gipfel went out again, Liquigas in, saw that Gipfel went out, so out again after 10", nobody in tempo for the km, caught by the sprinters.
Oss riding, lat ***. Lanz attacks. I was thinking about it for a moment, what if he ends up ahead? But.... it was more Lanz than Medaglia that had done the race so far, what if he relies on Lanz there for the attack? So waited to see if he went in to "signal" the attack, he didn't, I didn't feel like signalling either, so attack, 1" behind that was it. No reason at all for Tyler to wait of course, IMO was clear we would both go through, 6" advantage for Tyler. Made it 11" until the end. Lanz, and this pissed me off even on Sunday, lost another 7", finished at 8. With presumably the same form (Amstel) and as it turned out not really that much less energy. 25 we calculated, 453 vs 428? Or something like that, after the sprint. Ok, my attack cost me a bit more, maybe even the tempo, although at those level ususally it isn't much... so 30? 35? Bah, really hoped to be at the same level there. Early 6 points, the siebs where Medaglia probably did lose less, but how much? The lack of helper when Moretti rode, all together was just a bit too much. Really should have relied on Medaglia in retrospect. Was clear that the attack had to go there. So he goes. But thought well, if he doesn't go.. we're fucked. We go, 75% we're together, turns out I was wrong and I was behind.
The 8", partly all the +1 and especially -1, there Medaglia is stronger with his downhill... So Lanz really beaten more clearly than he deserved IMO. Still ok in losing it like that rather than in the sprint that promised to be stressfull, even if there was only 1 move that seemed to make sense for both in the sprint... Just not 8 seconds, like 4" ok, 8" is an insult. At least saved second place, usually I don't care much if it's 2nd or 5th, 3rd or 8th if I don't win, but well here I thought 2nd was good enough, better than 3rd. If in the back Würtz and LIm both had ridden wouldn't have gotten even that. And if LiqLiq or Gipfel had tried to block the last pavé they might even had a small chance to get back Tyler, small though, very small. But blocking for them really would have made no sense at all.

Finally a pretty tame edition for the most part, only action in the end, I like that it was a pavé rider winning solo, even if it was the wrong one. :lol:

Next year!

Today Brabant, Tyler is there again, Lanz is sitting on his wheel in the peloton right now. And plans to do nothing else all day.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:54 pm

Lanz can't follow Medaglia. Mentaler Knacks, clearly. Ok, 4* and he wasn't fully loaded, didn't bother to give him a second guy for a long time today. Somehow didn't know who to ride for anyway :D But at 4* it's critical for him anyway. Hoped for the classic long range attack that seems to be standard winning tactic at Brabant in the last years (I thought I did something special 2 or 3 years when I won like that, but seems most of the wins were like that lately).

But who needs Lanz when you have Trewlove. He can get the second place as well as Lanz. Second... good group initiated by Falkenbier, good management too, he got us all in tempo fast. Gipfel a longish break, which due to his mountain was ok. When we seemed through (and were), Trewlove thought he gets a few extra km too, everybody went out, Zielinski the second Falkenbier riding alone. Dropped at 4*, so then Shkurin rode alone, downhill, the 1*, attack by Trewlove there, didn't trust Murray to do the attack. Was 99% sure he would, Murray usually likes to attack in the end. But didn't, so good Trewlove went. Shkurin 7" back, thought 3 or 4... and he got only 2" back in the last km, where Murray attacked, Acosta too, Trewlove on Murray, only one, VantWout on Acosta, so another second place.
Ok, after the end of March where I got top 20 and stuff it's nice to be back further up, but really would prefer a win somewhere. But for Trewlove second is ok, he was one of the leaders today, thought Lanz well covered anyway.

In the back strong Medaglia, first out of the group at 13". Didn't think he could do that to be honest, if, then with the long range attack only... Was sure would be a free classic or Sotomayor or so winning out of the peloton.

Amstel, Amstel, whole team at 100 form there I heard, Everything except all the top 5 places unacceptable!

Bear

Post by Bear » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:21 am

I was surprised too about Medaglia. If the group wasnt that far away and (most likely) through, I might not even ride so much in the peloton. Classics seemed to have better chances and looked like they can work well toegther.

Until Falkes attack everything was fine. A lot of attacks and tempo of flat riders. Good for Medaglia to attack later. But then the Falke attack was really good. Maybe the block some km before even helped because not everyone was hanging there. Then the group was really strong, mtn and flat skill.

Next race I might put in following again. Today it was maybe not the best idea to not follow at all :)

Really nice race in the afternoon again. Might become a fan now...

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Fleche Wallonne. Record winner Big Donkey, and record loser, already nervous. Team around Apicella for once. With Amstelform of course. :D Apicella, Eiffel, Coderch, Faye, Totakhyl, Espariat, the full mountain team, Swift, Stakhanov Teixeira there too, unless I change something until the race starts. Lanz or Moretti or something like that in for ?

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:33 pm

Looks like no afternoon Fleche for me today, probably start in the evening, nothing to win there anyway, probably Hirschmoser wins, but rest no chance
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

CircleCycle

Post by CircleCycle » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 pm

I am joining the show at 15h. Maybe Sindarov for once can beat Eiffel, as he is not the declared captain of the Donkeys?

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:44 pm

Liège-Bastogne-Liège

Team ready, with superb Amstelform as usual of course.

1 T. Eiffel
2 M. Apicella
3 J. Coderch
4 T. Espariat
5 B. Faye
6 G. Moretti
7 M. Stakhanov
8 E. Trewlove
9 I. Totakhyl

Eiffel with the 1, so starts as captain, 55 sprint..... The rest there, ready to pounce if they see a chance.. .so well, probably not much pouncing going on.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:42 pm

Vasco just called me, seemed rather angry, claims I've forgotten him and demands to ride LBL too. While it's not true that I have forgotten him, he just slipped my mind, after I check his form he might join! Probably for Totakhyl or Moretti.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Unexpected and thus interesting group. No CC, AAD offline, no Seven Down, so the typical afternoon not that well represented. Instead evening and early evening guys invading. Lots of 80-70 around, all with around 50 sprint. No superclassics, with the expection of Craig, leso.

So my chances better than I expected, here Eiffel seemed to have his chance. But the classics coming back was another possibility, depending a lot on who leso was going to ride for. Ondoa, his 84-70, Craig, the 75-80 but no sprint, or the classic with 66 sprint? Anyway, classics Coderch not unlikely to be rather far up there, with his 72, but with the 80-70 and his lack of sprint, not really a likely winner out of the peloton.

Nothing happening much for the first 70 km, then Donkey-Falkenbier go. Leso chases after a while, the advantage around 7', but that was nowhere near enough to be able to hope to go through. So next Baaba-Espariat, with Espariat as leader. Puchouski with 70 mountain there too, so Espariat with less sprint and less mountain not so ideal, sent Coderch after them immediately. Then Donkeys ahead, Teixeira riding, next Baaba, next Espariat. At the Redoute we dropped all and Coderch Puchouski started riding together.

In the peloton lesossies did all the work. Good race, nobody helping, even if at some point it became clear he was riding for Ondoa. And then all the other 80-70es, and Eiffel too really, had interest to ride as well. But well, Donks and Freudenfeuer ahead. Some classics with sprint, Mobster had one, not hopeless either, chances to come back to the 80-70es seemed there to me at this point. But nobody helped. Good for us in front, but turned out good for leso too. At km 237, Côte des Forges, double attack Ondoa-Craig. Eiffel too optimistic, on Ondoa, can't follow. Shastin and Brand, the 2 80-70, Freudenfeuer and Fau followed. Clear mistake by the Donkey there. Probably no secret that Eiffels form wasn't for LBL. And he wasn't helped perfectly either, just 1 helper. After all wanted Espariat and Coderch fittish. And with 7 riders in the peloton, 1 each, Faye free riding. Should have done what Shastin and Brand did, follow Craig. Good attack by leso, no sectrick, so I think one of his riders sort of blocked the attack a bit. Mobster and Falkenbier?`then chased in the back, came close, downhill then Ondoa and Brand rode, so saved 6" or so to the Roche aux Faucons. On top 1" behind the escape, but caught them in the first flat km I think. Strong 80-70. Then Schastin joined too, by now looked like the likely winner, having Pochouski in the escape he had been able to rest. 5 guys to the sprint, Schastin won as could be expected. Coderch survinging from the escape 4th.

Donks attack wasn't that bad I think, if leso doesn't attack there, the pace might be slower and we might just have made it? But probably still not, but there wasn't that much missing, not minutes and minutes. Donkey not happy at all with how he handled Eiffel. He HAD to be on Craig, not Ondoa there. Then with the sprint being similar to the others... he had his chance. The Coderch attack ok, even if I actually don't like those mass attacks that much... 5 riders ahead., bah. But with Espariat looking rather chanceless vs Puchouski, thought needed somebody better, so sent Coderch immediately. Coderch was likely to try something early anyway.

Great race by Freudenfeuer IMO. He read the race perfectly, he followed exactly the right guys. Well, Faye the wrong one in a way, wasn't a leader, but turned out to be in the good group. Then Shastin on Craig. Then he was cool enough not to ride with Shastin immediately but to continue with Puchouski Coderch in front, once caught Puchouski too over. Freude didn't create the chances, right, but reading a race is important too, I think he did that very well. Hyperactivity doesn't mean riding well, go with the flow, follow the right wheel at time IMO is more elegant than attacks etc. Very nice win. Leso would have deserved it too, rode a lot, not afraid to ride and then not win, good!Wasn't enough finally, but happens.

No spring monument for the Donkey this year :cry: But Strade Bianche and the Flèche Wallonne is nice too, I'm actually satisfied with my spring classic campaign. RVV, DDV, E3 were... bah, pretty much a disaster, but not an unexpected one, for the rest all was sort of ok. Eiffel not following a big mistake. Lanz attacking himself at PR too, but there it's almost more understandable, Eiffel here the bigger mistake. Even if his chances to win were smaller if he did all right than Lanz's were.