Giro 2020 - 22h

Discuss about the RSF Races

Moderator: englishmods

el Galactico

Giro 2020 - 22h

Post by el Galactico » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:46 am

Let's do it. May is on its way and we all know May is Giro month. I am hyped already and hope for a nice group.

My team is not entirely set yet but most spots are already secured.

# 1 Image Marco de Luca
# 2 Image Cristobal Yanez
# 3 Image Rafael Ruiz Cabal
# 4 Image Felipe Flores Nyuti
# 5 Image Alejandro Betancur - very good chances but not 100% yet
# 6 Image Mario Haas
# 7 Image Alberto Urrutia

Candidates for the last 2 spots are:
- Dani Castillo
- Ricardo Diaz Romero
- Humberto Vega
- Martin Roux

At the moment the thoughts are Castillo + Diaz Romero which would be the most expensive option. This will probably be decided last minute.

Goals: 2 stages, GC Top 3, put pressure on Fontaine

So who is in?
Rodrigo Tellez - Winner of Tour Down Under 2023!!!

Siempre Campeones! Hala Galacticos!!

Statistics
Hall of Fame
Cyclist of the Month

Bear

Re: Giro 2020 - 22h

Post by Bear » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 pm

I am in. Just as a fill-in team. I dont have any rider who will be favourite at any stage. But maybe that's also fun. Attacking attacking and ...attacking.

save in the team:

Hamish MacDonald 84-62 : The FW winner will be the guy for GC. My goal depends on the group but I think against two climbers of Lorient it will be hard to win anything in the mountains.

Steve Holcombe 67-75 : weak classic. maybe he becomes a classic at the end of the Giro, but most likely he just stays the last helper of Hamish

Toby Price 78 sprint : the sprinter. it depends on the other teams - but maybe he can make sth happen

Arminas Jasikonis 50-88 : with 62 sprint he can lead a train for Toby if needed

Finn Iles 59-87 : powerful expensive 60-80, will be in the lineup because I like his skills. good for attacking.

Gautier Paulin and Adrien VanBeveren : two cheap flat riders. most likely I just need them to load

2 spots open, in the mix are:

Tim Gajser 60-86 : nice 60-80 with reg. With just 43 sprint not so good for escapes

Blake Gutzeit 54-82 : with 63reg perfect for escapes. but just as a puller because of sprint skill

Hugo Svard 48-86 : good flat rider with potential to win out of an escape. 55 sprint very good for escapes.

Pol Tarres - 47-80 : flat rider who dissapointed in training. most likely will stay at home

Most likely Blake and Hugo will do it.Team will be too expensive for bad skills. But it's Giro...

L RSV

Post by L RSV » Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Most likely I will start here as well (less likely at 9am).

Line-Up:
Everybody from my team who is younger than 35 years.

Goals:
Depends on the competitors. But I heard, there are some strong Teams starting here. So the goal is to beat them.
Some stages would be nice. Too much time trial in Marjans opinion.
Survive financially. Still thinking about leaving Markel at home, he seems to be useless. But then I would need to take one of the Oldies...

Hope we have a nice groupe, as we have to ride together for 3 weeks...

Cheers L RSV

Bear

Post by Bear » Fri May 08, 2020 10:16 pm

Giro20.JPG
Giro20.JPG (39.18 KiB) Viewed 6751 times
456k salary. It's much for my team and my chances to win anything. But I really looking forward to this Giro and the bank account is prepared.

Goal: 1 stage win.

Training during Giro: I hope that Hamish gets to 85 mtn and also Steve needs an upgrade.

Tomorrow we will see all lineups so that we can check the favourites.

cataracs

Post by cataracs » Sat May 09, 2020 9:30 pm

So I will be riding at 22h instead of afternoon. Goal is White, but we'll see how things go. Hope it will be fun time.

CircleCycle

Post by CircleCycle » Sat May 09, 2020 10:28 pm

CC at the 22h Giro!

As we have no other choice (and skipping GIRO was never really an option), we gonna start in the 22h field with small ambitions. The Lineup:

1 - Wordsworth Donisthorpe (winner of the great Sari-Dibaj race - otherwise an underachiever)
2 - Paulo (THE Legend) Marinheiro (simply legendary CC rider)
3 - Marc Lylloff (helper of the month in April)
4 - Kuldar Kiik (DDV-winner)
5 - Branko (Plan B) Ivkov (winner of Tirreno & Fleche Wallone)
6 - Bibek Lama (always there, never dangerous)
7 - Hitoshi Matsuyama (best Matsuyama in the game)
8 - Pauwel Kwak (the guy with the beer)
9 - Georgi Koskov (villain, who tries to show off early)

Lots of discussions before the start in the teambus. Hitoshi wanted to be nr.1 of course, but since Lorient is starting, it would be only nr.11. So he denied. He wanted to retire immediately. We could convince him to stay and now we hope that nr.17 is the lucky number!
Small ambitions we said, and yes, we are not gonna force it for gc. Try to win a few stages, and see how the GIRO will develop. Hence Koskov and not Tyrell. If there are chances, we try to take them.
While writing, Koskov managed to win the first stage some seconds ahead of RfM. Good! For now the goal will be to keep the russian general in the maglia rosa for the next days.

Bear

Post by Bear » Sun May 10, 2020 9:59 pm

My short guess regarding our group... it will depend what CC is going for and how the race develops. Before the race and just regarding skills I think as below:

General classement

***** T Fontaine (Lorient), W Donisthorpe (CC)
**** M deLuca (Gala), H Matsuyama (CC)
*** M Lenarcic (L RSV), P Nardi (Lorient), B Ivkov (CC)
* D Nguyen (Mikado), J Torres (Dickson)

IDF

Post by IDF » Sun May 10, 2020 11:59 pm

2x P2 for me. :(
[8:11:11 PM] SM: j'ai un bug la j'arrive plus a aller sur RFM

CircleCycle

Post by CircleCycle » Mon May 11, 2020 12:38 am

Favocheck!

GC
***** Thomas Fontaine (Lorient)
**** Marco deLuca (Los Galacticos), Hitoshi Matsuyama (CC), Wordsworth Donisthorpe (CC)
*** Marjan Lenarcic (L RSV), Rachel Winkhaus (Toto), Hamish MacDonald (Bearclaw), Patrice Debreuil (Leso), Malcolm Wellington (Curvasud)
** Paul Nardi (Lorient), Branko Ivkov (CC),David Nguyen (Mikado) Javier Torres (Dickson RPT), the classics with TT
* a complete surprise rider

Fontaine a clear favo. 3TT more than his fellow 88 climbers, 62 reg, so very hard to attack and 57 sprint too.
deLuca with the reg, the sprint, but less support and less TT.
Hitoshi getting old, Wordsworth probably too weak. Both with low reg, the biggest issue among other deficits.
The climbers in the *** group with chances, if they can get away with an attack. Not easy, but not much to lose anyway.

Points Classement
***** Chris vanDurpel (Flolandria)
**** Thomas Fontaine (Lorient), Dylan Bahu (RfM),
*** another sprinter, another mountain rider

Honestly, no idea bout that

Mountain Classement
***** Marjan Lenarcic (L RSV), Rachel Winkhaus (Toto), Malcolm Wellington (Curvasud)
**** A CC guy (Hitoshi, Ivkov, Paulo)
***/* Sami Vikkolainen (L RSV)
*** a classic who really, really wants it
* another rider who wants it

A nice option for a mountain rider with little chances for gc. And also plan E for Team CC ;-)

Team classement
***** CC
**** Lorient
*** all the other Teams, depending when a group will go through and who is in it.

Bear

Post by Bear » Mon May 11, 2020 10:38 pm

First win for CC => best favocheck of 22h Giro :)

Stage 2: Mass sprint. Deserved win by Chris VanDurpel (Flolandria). Two big groups after the sieb. With some helping mistakes I found myself in the back so that I had to ride for Hamish and Toby. Actually I did not think it will be possible to come back. Flolandria worked to get his 85 sprinter back and the first group allowed to get caught.

Good sprint by Flolandria. Off sprint by Dreizehn. Good sprint by RFM. That's it to sum it up I would say.

Sami Vikkolainen (L RSV) going for red now. Lets see how this works out against the climbers.

L RSV

Post by L RSV » Tue May 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Stage 3:
Mass sprint again. No serious escape, only Sami and friends going for the intermediates. We are all scared by the disciplined sprinter teams. I missed the end because I felt asleep... That's not good advertisement for r4f.

So let's hope this stage is a little more exiting in the end. Looks like one of the multi-climber teams has the best chances today.
At the moment it looks like. But maybe a late attack by a bigger group? One never knows.

What else has happend so far?
VanDurpel looks like the number one for the point classification.

Bear

Post by Bear » Tue May 12, 2020 10:21 pm

22h also can do stats...

Days in maglia rosa by riders:
3 - Georgi Koskov (CircleCycle)

Days in maglia rosa by teams:
3 - CircleCycle

Stage wins by riders:
2 - Chris VanDurpel (Flolandria)
1 - Georgi Koskov (CircleCycle)

Stage wins by teams:
2 - Flolandria
1 - CircleCycle

Bear

Post by Bear » Tue May 12, 2020 11:53 pm

Update:

4 - Georgi Koskov (CircleCycle)

4 - CircleCycle

Stage wins by riders:
1 - Hitoshi Matsuyama (CircleCycle)

Stage wins by teams:
2 - Flolandria
2 - CircleCycle

Two teams dominating at the beginning. Tomorrow Mikado in rosa.

el Galactico

Post by el Galactico » Wed May 13, 2020 10:05 am

Stage 4 - first stage in Italy after the start in Hungary and also the first "mountain" finish.

The TT on day 1 already showed that CC's Matsuyama has apparently another form peak than the other climbers so he was quite clear the big favorite for the stage and as CC also was holding the maglia rosa he controlled all race for 2 good reasons. The escape was no danger at all as like already on the flat stages. It seems this tour could become a very hard time for early escapees.
For me it came surprising that Lorient thought he would be able to follow and didn't try to block it. That way it became an easy win for CC who will also be the favorite for today's stage up the Etna.

GC situation before first real mountain stage:
Wordsworth Donisthorpe
Hitoshi Matsuyama + 0:06
Thomas Fontaine + 0:17
Marco deLuca + 0:30
Marjan Lenarcic + 0:32
Paul Nardi + 0:32

Of course there are others like Hamish, Ivkov or Wellington with chances but I think one of these 6 guys will make it at the end - Fontaine being the big favorite here imo.

Statistics
Hall of Fame
Cyclist of the Month

el Galactico

Post by el Galactico » Thu May 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Stage 5 - mountain finish at Etna

Interesting stage. Lorient early with one of his little tests he claims to do. Isolated CC's climber's again quite early.
On Etna then early attack of Matsuyama which made Lorient chase him with Nardi. Then last 3 kms with Fontaine and help from Marco on the last km but Matsuyama showed his form once again and kept himself in front with 3 seconds after some big effort. Fontaine finished 2nd and Marco 3rd. Wordsworth lost 37 seconds + bonifications to Fontaine & Marco and is now behind them in GC. His reg will also become an issue after the big TT in week 2.

GC situation after Etna stage:

Hitoshi Matsuyama
Thomas Fontaine + 0:18
Marco deLuca + 0:33
Marjan Lenarcic + 0:40
Wordsworth Donisthorpe +0:44
Paul Nardi + 0:48

Statistics
Hall of Fame
Cyclist of the Month

CircleCycle

Post by CircleCycle » Thu May 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Stage 4 + 5

I had to work more than expected to get the back-to-back stagewin with Hitoshi Matsuyama. No really dangerous escapes but some "test" by Lorient, who seems a little bit obsessed with weakening riders - if only that doesn't get back later, Giro is long.
Took the risk with double attack (Woodsworth + Hitoshi), got blocked, shit happens. Anyway its only gc-seconds, not that important at this point, since both my guys rather need minutes not seconds.

For the rest? Fontaine getting p2 twice, so 12" of boni, already with even more clear advantage over the rest of the field. Could get very boring in the end, but lets stay optimistic. deLuca profiting a lot, clear favo for p2 now, not too surprising, we saw it already in Pais Vasco.

Meanwhile Hitoshi in rosa and also leading in the mountain classement. Thats nice! The plan now is to keep it as long as possible, but not overdoing it, since it is only temporary, the chances to get it in the end definitely decreased by now.

I didn't mention the Youth Classement in the earlier favocheck. Debreuil with 84-55-76-57-49 even with a shot at gc Podium potentially the only rider who will be with the stronger mountainriders after a strong sieb in the mountains. Javier Torres with more reg and more TT has some chances.

4 more stages until the first restday, quite likely we see stage wins from different teams there.

Bear

Post by Bear » Fri May 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Stage 6

I expected a mass sprint here. It was even easier because the classic teams and hill sprinters did not like to work together to keep the sprinters away.

Afterwards maybe a good idea. At least for RFM and Gala who finished 1 2. Flolandria with important points for sprint classement.

For myself a disappointment. Helped a little for mass sprint but was not fast enough to set the sprint from 150
M. Don’t know if that would be enough, but surely better than 4th I think.

Arminas with the no Sense Last km attack. Just a try since he can’t do much in a sprint.

Today should be for climbers again.

IDF

Post by IDF » Fri May 15, 2020 3:35 pm

No more words for an outsider win? :D

Bear

Post by Bear » Fri May 15, 2020 7:25 pm

I was typing on my phone while waiting at the doctor. so just a few words had to be enough :D

IDF

Post by IDF » Sat May 16, 2020 12:37 am

For st.6 : You forgot that Lorient had his all classics in front and could have done such a good deal by putting LG's clilmber way behind but stopped after 5 kms.
Outsider win by the way where all 90-92 missed their sprints.. profited to me in the end at the last 50.

St.7 : more interesting, big group, with red jersey , a lot of teams and Audrey with a good GK positionning. Lorient controlled, letting us go even with my rider. Nice collaboration, big advantage of 10 minutes before the hill. The win was in front and stayed in front between Gala, me and RSV (so the red number).
At least I won in front of RSV and LG. RSV in red jersey, good operation.

Behind, CC took a couple of secs against all his opponents.
CC in P1, Lorient in P2, me in P3 due to the escape.

Tomorrow flat race, Flo is favourite.

IDF

Post by IDF » Sat May 16, 2020 12:43 am

Update:

3 (st.1 --> st.3) - Georgi Koskov (CircleCycle)
3 (st 5--> st.7) - Hiroshi Matsuyama (CircleCycle)
1 (st.4) - David Nguyen (Mikado)

7 - CircleCycle
1 - Mikado

Stage wins by riders:
2 - Hitoshi Matsuyama (CircleCycle)
1 - Syamalan Rajendran (RideforMoney)
1 - Audrey Maillot (RideforMoney)

Stage wins by teams:
3 - CircleCycle
2 - Flolandria
2 - RideforMoney

NoMoreIdols

Post by NoMoreIdols » Sun May 17, 2020 12:16 am

Post stage 8 analaysis, train got cut off by the fantastic sprint system, could have done better perhaps with pierre but chris is still the main sprinter.

I am willing to help in the sprint system since this is clearly not working.

Bear

Post by Bear » Sun May 17, 2020 9:58 am

Update:

4 (st 5--> st.8) - Hiroshi Matsuyama (CircleCycle)
3 (st.1 --> st.3) - Georgi Koskov (CircleCycle)
1 (st.4) - David Nguyen (Mikado)

8 - CircleCycle
1 - Mikado

Stage wins by riders:
2 - Hitoshi Matsuyama (CircleCycle)
1 - Syamalan Rajendran (RideforMoney)
1 - Audrey Maillot (RideforMoney)
1 - Raymond Dugolf (lesossies)

Stage wins by teams:
3 - CircleCycle
2 - Flolandria
2 - RideforMoney
1 - lesossies

Stage 8 - Surprising win by leso after a chaotic sprint where trains were falling apart and somehow Chris (Flolandria) and Carlomanno (Curvasud) were far behind. Except the sprint there was not much to see.

IDF

Post by IDF » Sun May 17, 2020 12:30 pm

Well to be honest, as i said to Flo personnally, i didn't understand why all went like that after my move on the left (which was intended, I wanted to put the Flo's train behind LG's sprinter, but that's the game, i wanted to up my chances to win, nothing wrong with that) but why my sprinter was moved TWO lines instead of one.. i mean because of LG's 59 guy but why this guy moved? (especially if LG didn't put a setting on him at this moment) and why Flo was cut ? (but sometimes it happens on sprint system, why? idk)

Sometimes just shit happens, my sprinter finished far behind, so i was fucked too. But shit happens. Nothing unfair etc. Just sad for Flo.

But good win from Leso, nobody on him while having a decent sprinter (but better hanging on me haha lol :p) , not his fault neither.

Let's move for a st.9.. strong classics will fight for the win (with climbers ofc). Lorient as favo with some decent sprint skills, i'll help for sure even if my chances are low, but that's THE Giro, so we have to deal with it.

el Galactico

Post by el Galactico » Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 am

GC situation on first rest day:

Hitoshi Matsuyama
Thomas Fontaine + 0:40
Patrice Debreuil + 0:50
Marco deLuca + 0:55
Marjan Lenarcic + 0:59
Paul Nardi + 1:10
Wordsworth Donisthorpe +2:08

Matsuyama took 22 seconds on Fontaine & de Luca on stage 7. His form though will now be getting a problem and the big mountain stages are still to come. On the other hand he definitely has the team to minimize his time losses with his 3 climbers and the leader situation cleared up as well with Wordsworth already over a minute behind.
I added Patrice Debreuil into the GC picture after good performances through the first week. He might not win the tour but could get a shot for the podium with 2 TT's still left. He also has the chance to improve with the next training.

Statistics
Hall of Fame
Cyclist of the Month