The Real Giro 2024 Afternoon

Discuss about the RSF Races

Moderator: englishmods

Robyklebt

Re: The Real Giro 2024 Afternoon

Post by Robyklebt » Sat May 04, 2024 6:38 pm

Woldemariam. Decided to make a coin-toss, forgot it and left it at Woldemariam. Probably makes more sense, without him I weaken my sprint work team too much. In mountain stages having 2 options would have been nice though.

Biggish group with Costigan for the GPMs, caught soon by AAD. Next 2 Credit Pommes, at 8' I go in. As feared nobody else, was an open stage after all. Some co-favorites like Schappy of course risk being dropped by attacks on the final 9. On the other hand just going in tempo, as everybody except the 88+87 had every reason to do would most likely bring Kalma and the 85 bac. And with 67 flat come back in the last km. Finally CC/Tukh for Sullivan joined. AAD very little, but ok, today his stage chances were not that big, sprint. He's not coming home alone, either with me and Flopp or much more likely in a bigger group... The others... Credit Pommes ahead, Schappy in the stadium (not that I think that changed anything) Bright offline. So mostly Donkey, then AAD siebs, then an attack by Woldemariam (to show the world he's here!) that everybody followed, then San Vito. By then the Donkey was on the way to the station to be nice to his wife coming home from a 2 day trip to Kyoto... so just did the tempo, hope for luck in the sprint, didn't work. If I stay home in front of the computer I probably put attack in and try to check who's in who not to see if I take it out again... but normally somebody like Sullivan, if not then Wingelaar, if not then Meldrum, if not then Kalma has to put somebody in, and with the flat last km normally caught again anyway.

Tomorrow next chance for the stage, Bright though with chances if he's online, AAD similar, just no sprint. Usually on 1 attack people with 1 less can often follow.
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Sat May 04, 2024 6:39 pm

Damn, Garcia just won the coin-toss. Made it best of 3 then, he still won, 3-1.
He's angry.
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

team fl

Post by team fl » Sun May 05, 2024 3:33 pm

Short favorite check on a busy weekend:

General classement
***** Ferenc Krausz (Alive And Dead)
**** Excelino Marquez (Big Donkey), Flopp McMell (Bright),
*** Yotam Ottolenghi (Gipfelstuermer), George Meldrum (Rang MLord Cycling Team), Fong Mao (Bright),
** Lenny Wingelaar (Credit Pommes), Colin Sullivan (CircleCycle), Fenna Kalma (Schappy),
* a surprise rider

Points classement
*** Ilario Mosconi (Gipfelstuermer)
** Aron Abreha (Team FL), Theodore Smith/Matvey Natanzon (CircleCycle)
* another rider

Mountain classement
*** Excelino Marquez (Big Donkey), FloppMcMell (Bright)
** another rider
* a surprise rider / the one who wants it

Youth classement
*** Fong Mao (Bright)
** Wolodymyr Drinfeld (Alive And Dead)
* Emily Schumann (Schappy)

Team classement
*** Bright
** AAD
* Schappy
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.

Bright

Post by Bright » Sun May 05, 2024 3:52 pm

My team setup:

Fong-Goals: White and top 8
Flopp-Goals:Stage and top 5
Jape-Helper in mountains
Flowyn: Helper / Classic sprinter
Thopp: Helper and little bother of Flopp
Pim: Helper
Hans: Flat and last km escape artist
Philmus: Helper
Hancao: Wheee DH's for borst.

Team goals:
-Team GC
-White
-2 stages: DONE!

Bonus goals:
-Polka?
-Making a profit
Last edited by Bright on Sun May 12, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

team fl

Post by team fl » Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 am

After the first two stages, we have mainly two winners: Lenny Wingelaar (CreditPommes) who won the first stage and is still in the Maglia Rosa, and Flopp McMell (Bright) who won the second stage and gained valuable time against his GC opponents. As expected, both stages were dominated by the climbers and have already shapened the GC standings a bit. Finally today, also the sprinters may start their Giro campaign. But first, let's have a look at the current GC standings:

01. 00:00 Lenny Wingelaar (CreditPommes)
02. 00:03 Flopp McMell (Bright)
03. 00:14 Excelino Marquez (Big Donkey)
04. 00:14 Colin Sullivan (CircleCycle)
05. 00:18 Ferenc Krausz (Alive And Dead)
06. 00:50 Fenna Kalma (Schappy)
07. 01:02 George Meldrum (Rang MLord Cycling Team)
08. 01:12 Fong MaoYouth (Bright)
09. 01:20 Wolodymyr Drinfeld (Alive And Dead)
10. 01:23 Yotam Ottolenghi (Gipfelstuermer)

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Mon May 06, 2024 10:07 am

GIRO!

Fully commited to the fight for ROSA this time (so no Babai) has several reasons:

1) Time issues, handling the important stages for GC is complicated enough. So don't want to be even more busy organizing the sprint stages that I might miss.

2) Babai has no reg. He would be the perfect sprinter as with 70 flat he has very good chances getting the wheels he want but he is nearly completely useless during all other stages. Iwachnenko last year had good reg and mountain, he was used often to do the tempo uphill when the time of the Tempobolzer was over. Hinton 2 years ago didn't have reg too, but some mountain and good flat.

3) Bringing Babai would mean bringing at least a 87 flat rider, both without reg would mean not having Kalman and weakening the GC team even more. Just bringing Kalman would probably risk not getting the stages or annoy other sprinter teams.

4) Much easier tactics in these sprint races like today with sieb km close to the end. Kalman and Hamarat both with good mountain values likely to be above the split (at least for now when they start fit)

First two stages were going well GC wise all in all. Losing time to Flopp not perfect at all. But I think I wouldn't catch him back even if I tried to block his attack yesterday + trying to get rid of the 60TT guys early was too tempting. Unfortunately forgot to attack with Drinfeld there. So as Donkey said in the FPC: Attack was good for GC and bad for stage chances (Wingelaar looked stronger yesterday anyways)
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Mon May 06, 2024 11:48 am

Lots of BS!
flockmastoR wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:07 am
2) Babai has no reg. He would be the perfect sprinter as with 70 flat he has very good chances getting the wheels he want
Natanzon 70, Chassot 68, Smith 66, Lorenzini 73... that's 4 guys that would make Babai's wheel choice more complicated. 66-90 vs 70-88, 68-89 vs 70-88, not sure how that works out. 70-86 vs 70-88. Ok, that you beat normally. Lorenzini probably. too. 4 less sprint.
flockmastoR wrote:
Just bringing Kalman would probably risk not getting the stages or annoy other sprinter teams.
Just bringing Kalman will indeed not get you the stages! And it definitely has me fuming. :twisted:
flockmastoR wrote:
4) Much easier tactics in these sprint races like today with sieb km close to the end. Kalman and Hamarat both with good mountain values likely to be above the split (at least for now when they start fit)
Hm.... 87 + Kalman in front, hm... will need to rethink our sprint commitment then!

Otherwise today first sprint day, 4 sprinter teams vs 1 hill sprinter vs ... nobody? 5 teams that make more money in a classic sprint, but probably end up beaten by Cotrufo-Zuzunaga anyway.

As for the GC, actually without Allrad there IMO you could have afforded Babai. Even mentioning Marquez getting 4" bonification yesterday was laughable... He needs minutes. Flopp and Lenny have even less TT than Marquez and less reg. Sullivan less reg, less mountain, quite ok TT. So that leaves Meldrum, Ottolenghi, Mao. Meldrum with a new manager, the experience is lacking. If he's 100% new. Rides quite well so far, conservative waiting, not a energy waster, so that is kind of dangerous for you. But losing time like yesterday is likely to happen again, he can't go in and cover mountains from bottom to top. Ottolenghi is doing everything but riding for GC so far. And yes, he has less mountain again. Mao, the evil second climber of the evil Bright looks most dangerous. 2 more TT, 3 less mountain. And with super-evil flop a very very good puller, if (when?) he decides to ride for Mao. So far not, stage winner, rosa... Mao already lost his TT advantage is my guess... we'll see.
So no reason to worry too much about the GC... in this constellation Babai wouldn't have hurt much.

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Mon May 06, 2024 12:28 pm

1) I said good chances, not save wheel. And I said that no matter the opponents. Having a guy like Dachwitz with some more reg would have been perfect. No need for the high flat finisher, some minor chances for a stage (can follow attacks, can gamble on the Donkey reverted train). But Dachwitz even worse with 35 reg

2) Do we have a sprint commitment? I think that 4 sprinter teams can handle such a stage. I really don't see many guys attacking today, but we will see. The +6 makes it complicated and I can help out if it is needed even if there is no GC relevant guy there.

3) 4" is peanuts. I know. But from what could be seen so far, the top climbers will be the hardest challengers. And amongst them I see Flopp and then Marquez as the best ones, Flopp basically because of his support and his sprint can give him an advantage over time. Marquez as he has a mountain point advantage, reg and his manager has experience in winning the GIRO. For being here just a bit over a year, Bright did very well studying his palmares and Flopp is GT experienced. I think compared to 22 and 23, it currently looks like the "easiest" group. But Babai not starting has nothing to do with the group. I didn't even check on the inscription day I think (checked the day before)

PS: Donkey not going for the 2 climber option is already confusing me. What evil plan does he have?
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Mon May 06, 2024 3:43 pm

I don't get point 2, and how that's relevant to your original point 2

No Garcia?

Chassot winning Sanremo, then riding 5 or so races in April? He deserves to be there. Lorenzini planned anyway. 4 non riders too many.
Plus don't see how I can challenge you even with 2 climbers, 1 is enough.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue May 07, 2024 8:46 am

Robyklebt wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:43 pm
I don't get point 2, and how that's relevant to your original point 2
flockmastoR wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:28 pm
2) Do we have a sprint commitment? I think that 4 sprinter teams can handle such a stage. I really don't see many guys attacking today, but we will see. The +6 makes it complicated and I can help out if it is needed even if there is no GC relevant guy there.
Being exceptionally clever I figured out where the confusion comes from!
Robyklebt wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:48 am
Hm.... 87 + Kalman in front, hm... will need to rethink our sprint commitment then!
My "our" simply refers to our as in our team's. Big Donkey's commitment to a sprint.

Your "our" seems to include AAD.

We as in BD are indeed committed to sprints. We as in AAD and BD not.

You do what you want. Of course if a big group even without classics goes sprinter teams in general will be happy if the GC favorite helps a bit early, after all if the sprinters at some point feel like they can't get the group and give up you'd be forced to cover the whole end alone... But you know all that too. Personally didn't expect any help yesterday once the small 4 man group went. Even if we might have been in trouble if Brunsketti hadn't dropped back. That would have been entirely our own fault 4 teams vs 4 riders, even considering the late 6 that makes it a bit tricky, should be able to deal with that.

Gipfelstuermer

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Tue May 07, 2024 10:05 am

AAD won two Giros in a row and has good chances for a third one. Unfortunately, their manager knows very well how and when to control in peloton. Yesterday there wasn't much to control and when the tiny escape went, we saw an impressive collaboration amongst the teams with sprinters. With 22km to go from the +6, the sieb for Mosconi was always going to be just entertainment. Unfortunately for us, the FL ciclamino favo check was also just entertainment.

STATS

Days in the Maglia Rosa
3 - Lenny WINGELAAR (Credit Pommes)

Stage Wins
1 - Lenny WINGELAAR (CreditPommes)
1 - Flopp MCMELL (Bright)
1 - Matvey NATANZON (CircleCycle)
GIP MASTERPLAN
Gameplay: Flexible Min-Tact. Improve Sprint System. Windkante.
Marketing: Re-attract old players. Advertisement. Social Media.
New Players: Fair Start Budget, New Tutorial.
Fairplay: Improve FPC features, Fair Prize Money Disribution.

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue May 07, 2024 10:49 am

Gipfelstuermer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:05 am
Unfortunately for us, the FL ciclamino favo check was also just entertainment.
Who is "we" and who voted for you as speaker of "us"?

It is not entertainment of course. The Giro is still very long and if Ilario fully commits for the Ciclamino, there are plenty of opportunities to get ride of the other contestants and grab lots of points. As if the favourite check would only include the first three stages. Bad remark, bad pun, bad crossreferece, bad payback. You can do better!

Gipfelstuermer

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Tue May 07, 2024 11:00 am

team fl wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:49 am
My "Us" simply refers to us as in us as a team. (see Big Donkey post for more explanations!). I have no idea how the usage of that can be controversial. Especially since you write in the same style in your posts!
GIP MASTERPLAN
Gameplay: Flexible Min-Tact. Improve Sprint System. Windkante.
Marketing: Re-attract old players. Advertisement. Social Media.
New Players: Fair Start Budget, New Tutorial.
Fairplay: Improve FPC features, Fair Prize Money Disribution.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue May 07, 2024 11:33 am

We think Mosconi sucks!

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue May 07, 2024 12:57 pm

Gipfelstuermer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 11:00 am
team fl wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:49 am
My "Us" simply refers to us as in us as a team. (see Big Donkey post for more explanations!). I have no idea how the usage of that can be controversial. Especially since you write in the same style in your posts!

But is it only the riders or is the technical director, sponsor(s), team manager, etc. included? Question over questions! "We" need answers!

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue May 07, 2024 1:32 pm

We want Donkey-wins!

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm

And we disagree with FL on Mosconi's ciclamino chances.

While he does possibly have some favorable terrain, a) holding alone, even if Attabay (hope right spelling) is there is not easy. b) Quite a mass of stronger sprinters. So when the whole mass is there, he will lose points to quite a few guys each time. He probably would need 2 wins without the stronger sprinters there to have a chance. Before the start without ultra deep analysis I'd have said:
*** Smith (train+90)
** Abreha (train) Chassot (small train, wheel getter)
* Klijn (if that's his name) Mosconi, Natanzon

Or Lorenzini for Natanzon, but to not look too stupid now, I'll go for Natanzon. 8-)
But all pretty open and close. Now N. number
1, but will soon be ovettaken by Chassot

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Wed May 08, 2024 3:03 pm

Hm, again Natanzon... -1 this time clearly didn't help, but beaten that badly again, Chassot is going Marquez' way, losing all self-confidence. Next chance today, after that there's a bit of a sprint reset, next sprint stage in a week, new form, etc. Chassot of course doesn't want to wait till then, now! Otherwise he really might get a moral knock out. And the Donkey too.

At least the Donkey is doing ok in the Coppa Asino, he thinks, he doesn't remember the rules exactly... 4th 3rd 2nd, 2nd... worst result counts? So even with CC who was 4th once as well?

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 pm

Chassot, finally. Good, good, was worth it coming here as sprinter team with the best climber already. Of course 2 wins would be better than 1, 3 better than 2, 4 better than 3, 5 not possible anymore I think.... but 1 is ok. We're more excited for sprints than mountains somehow this Giro. Maybe because the mountains promise to be devoid of any GC action.

So far Natanzon the dominator, early form. So the 2 sprints in a week, and then the 2 in the last week could turn out to be quite different. Natanzon more beatable from his wheel, today I was sort of lucky, (But I don't care, Chassot won), had no idea if waiting for 50 or going at 150 was better, worked, barely. In the first 50 meters Natanzon got back a lot I felt, checking, 1 bikelength and 1/2 wheel back, then only half a bike length... brrr. Tought I lose it, survived. Second week and even more third week might be easier from his wheel. But then especially in the third week CC might change the train, go for Smith wins, take away points for ciclamino from the others like that. And the way it looks from all the other sprinters right now only Chassot is a small danger. And he normally doesn't get help in other stages for the intermediates... But if he comes closer, and is on Natanzon's wheel (possible, even if I like switching between sprinters) CC can just slow down his train and let the FL train with possible followers get a bigger advantage, go later with Smith, give away the win and 50 points, lose less vs Chassot who then gets third, fourth, while Natanzon is happy with one place behind. Or if the advantage is big enough, just go for the Smith wins as I said, but that's more likely for only the third week. Actually think even today he could have let the FL train another 50 meters, then go with Smith and Natanzon at 100, and still have chances to win, the way the other sprints looked, (ok, -1 and stupid energy losses in sprint on stage 4 and 3 for Chassot) Chassot is not guaranteed to get passed him. But it almost worked with the more aggressive strategy too. Good form setting, good execution so far by CC, have to admit that.

Natanzon 138
Chassot 95 (today's stage being a middle mountain one didn't help)
Wingelaar 67 (but doubt he can play a role)
Lorenzini 49 (might get his chance if ciclamino is irreversibly gone, which risks happening soon)
Abreha 44 (pure frustration in FL-country, which I can relate too, remember my past sprint experiences in the Giro, BUT with Natanzon and probably diminishing form, and IF Chassot stays dangerous, stages suddenly become very possible again)
HOchausen 43 (following Donkeys, either by design or mysterious sprint sorting)
Smith 41 (unhappy helper I imagine, he'll want Roma)
Klijn 41 (being mobbed on twitter by Meisen for his results so far. But well, Meisen only won 1 Giro sprint too, so he should shut up!)

Very happy Donkey. He won a sprint! Not so special others will say. Well, it's the first Donkey sprint at the Giro since 2014... And if I counted correctly only the 4 sprinter winning a Giro stage. The 5th Giro sprint win.
08 E. Schmalztorus
09 E. Schmalztorus
10 K. Eiterolloid
14 M. Creek

I must have the worst "km ridden for sprint/win" ratio for the Giro in the game... because I often brought a sprinter, very often was in tempo for him then. Even if most of the time of course the GC and climber were more important. But was regularly made to cry by bad people like FL.. hm, more research:

14: 0!! No participation? Scared of CREEK?
15: 3 sprints, Lichtenstein
16: 0 (Oxley 2 stages, but not a sprinter, good, didn't remember him at all, this FL has countless non-sprinter wins too)
17: 2 sprints, Sitko
18: 2 sprints: Nguyen
19: 0
20: 2 sprints: Spohr
21: 0
22:4 sprints: Marxer (my total from 16 Giri at that point (i missed 2012) in 1 Giro... sniff)
23: 3 sprints: Flaskjer
24: ?

So 16 sprint wins since my last sprint win.... and 18 in total, double-Schmarotz in 2011. Must have been that success, beating my surely superb sprinter then, that gave him confidence, then the floodgates opened and he never stopped depressing me... grrr.
Ok, FL is the sprint king.... and of course he rode more than me for all these wins, but in the years with sprinters Big D. usually helped too, just very very few wins. 9 Giri without a sprint win. Ok, after Creek, who, new sprint system started then, and the generally frustrating experience I had riding for him (best sprinter without train, little help, on other trains then usually victim of the "not from my train" syndrome, if with train unbeatable, so no sprints because 0 help (except Paris-Tours, which stays one of my greatest victories ever, happiest victories ever, SM of all people helped a lot to get the sprint where then my Topal-Ghazali-Creek train was unbeatable), I decided to fuck 90 sprinters and ride with 75-85 or maybe was even max 80 for a moment, so no wins is not that surprising.

17: Kaniuk
18 No sprinter
19 Matsukaze
20 Bogarin
21 Messerli (it's already 3 years, damn)
22 Gabel Gamboa
23 Rrurrambu

Up to Bogarin of course substandard sprinters (But SANREMO winner he was, Bogarin, and Kaniuk and Matsukaze moral winners) for a GT, but from 21 on.. brr.

Ah, back to this year, it shows again (but Rrurrambu 23 had the same problem) how stupid that strong flat counts a lot in the first sprint-meters is. High flat=get the wheel. not much others can do. I profit from it enormously (A WIN, with Chassot getting all the wheels, and doubt that will change, while others, Abreha and Klijn, are mostly fucked and experience a bit of a Donkey-Tour. Hope whenever we get around to look at this sprint system in detail again (no hurry, Alk should do what he thinks he has to do, but once we start new stuff IMO it has to be the first priority, it sucks on so many levels right now)

Anyway, after waiting for 10 years, (almost, Creek won on 10.05, but he won the maglia ciclamino too, yihaaa! Damn, Chassot under pressure) I keep digging up stats!

No race history for Kaniuk, then:

Matsukaze: 3-3-4-6-6-7
Bogarin 4-6-7-9 (impressive Tour results though, 1 stage win, 7 times top 5, 10 times top 10)
Messerli 2-3-4-4-5
Gabel: 2-2-3-10-12 (assume that's sprints) Gamboa 6 6 7
Rrurrambu: 2-3-3-5

So I was there, 4 second places, 6 third places, this year then another 2 second places, another 3rd, in the first 2 sprint stages. And today finally: THE WIN! CHASSOT!

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Wed May 08, 2024 8:26 pm

Look what we found:
team fl wrote:
Sun May 08, 2011 9:23 am
TEAM FL

- Kämpfer, Dürr, now Schmarotz, will you finally get your sprinters win at the Giro this year?

Well, I hope so, but it will be hard. Schmarotz is the only real Sprinter in the peloton. Of course Team FL will try

- Today the first chance to get a sprint. Confident you will get it?

The last 50 km don't look good for Cédric. And there will be lots of teams who will just work against a MS for a Sprints, just to let another rider win in front. Just because it's "cool". But we will see

- Mastrangelo got a big time gap already yesterday. Was that tactical to get more freedom to go for stagewins later in the race?

Team FL does not care. First, the Team management could not be there, so we sent Motorizzati. We gave instructions that obviously did not work out very well. We don't know why. But as far as Luigi has no intention to win the GC, it does not matter anyway. Team FL likes to win some stages, if possible
Only real sprinter in the peloton, scandalous! Ok, in the main thread (for some reason we had an interview thread in 2011, hm, no interviews ingame so we made them in a thread. We were young and cool, dammit) figured out that that was the Conti-saga year, yes, no yes no, No. Few opportunities, better go all in for Fahrny, which didn't help, he got 5th, but career debut in February, weird times... he's remembered more for his last day defeat vs Eickendreyer later in 2011 in Yemen than for anything else (he won the Andes and Catalunya, but...)
Hm, what was I looking for, ah, sprinters in 2011, no Fabulous, so easy for Schmarotz and FL to get a taste of sprint wins in the Giro. FL's rise to undisputed sprint king of the Giro (maybe now CC will show up and dispute it, he usually wins a few too) is clearly in large part to Fabulous Conti, more specifically his absence. Fabulous' legacy keeps growing, he is the best sprinter of all times, just overtook Rainer Kruckmann!

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Thu May 09, 2024 9:01 pm

Ok, main reason for Kalman and Hamarat was the gravel stage, indeed. Krausz with 62 pave and with the confidence of mwinning Strade Bianche has another chance to win time in the GC there. Sullivan stronger than Krausz at the gravel sieb, Wingelaar just 1s behind Krausz at the **siebs. Small error after the last ** sieb where CreditPommes could come back in the downhill. I think riding with Hamarat alone for the start could distance him as well today. Was just sleeping and already in the energy save modus. Didn't see that Wingelaar was 1s behind. Probably I wasn't even expecting him there. some seconds further back McMell and Marquez, way further back Meldrum and Mao in the same group as the Donkey flat riders. Luckily those groups fought each other first too. Donkey change to riding in the back later, Bright continued in front. I think waiting right away and riding together would have saved you a lot of time. In front CreditPommes/CC not interested in riding against the other climbers (understandable). Some tempo by CreditPommes in between when I already was havin' a look at my reg. Brunsketti went in at a km where I tried to lure someone into tempe/attack but when I joined him he went out again. In the end I was happy that the group made it. The final was than easy, sieb at the 10 and try to survive with the other climbers/get pulled by some classics coming back.

No time won/lost on Ainouz who will get into Rosa tomorrow. No time lost/won on Wingelaar and Sullivan. 38" won against Marquez and McMell, 99" won against Mao/Meldrum. So GC wise a good day.

My predictions for the 41km of TT tomorrow, based on Ainouz

Ainouz 00:00
Krausz 03:50
Marquez 05:20

I chose the 3 riders with similar reg.
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Fri May 10, 2024 10:35 am

Main reason gravel? Weird, a guy with 87 flat should be there for general safety anyway...

I rode in the Meldrum group from the start, and in the one with Bright too. Just took breaks in both groups here and there. Flat out Novelli, better use him in the climbs and downhills. Sometimes was late with in/out. Sometimes.. the whole time basically. But Bright had a flat rider there, so made sense. Same in the group back, Stringfellow for flat, again, was late with out/in at times, not always fully there, watching the Giro in parallel.

Was basically to keep the option to wait open, but M'Lord didn't put in enough mass, Bright for Mao was like me, in in flat, we didn't come closer, so better keep going in front. Don't think we would have been faster the other way Yes, instead of going up from 20" to 40", which we then kept, we would have stayed at 40" But if we started coming back, pretty sure others would have started to help, we saw that when Longbottom went in, gained time, others started to help, Longbottom vs your guys alone we would have been back at 25" or so.

Longbottom/Woldemariam stayed in front and were ok riding for the stage too, but after no attacks came, they dropped back, 8th and 23rd was not worth keeping them ahead, but if some attacks would have come they would have been there. 10-15" more or less for Marquez doesn't matter. Probably with full commitment to Marquez we can be faster, but you could have been faster in front too I think, although forgot why I thought so yesterday. Marquez is here for stage wins, usually I like to try to attack the GC, but in with this route it's ridiculous to think he can have a chance, makes no sense pretending that I'm here for more than stage wins with Marquez. Podium, Top 5, Top 10, well ok, Top 5 I want, but podium or not in the end doesn't even matter much, money yes, but otherwise. I rather take one win more and be further down in the GC then second in GC with no stage wins. Just hope not to end up 5th with no stage wins now...

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 pm

Yeah could have been faster a bit, thought at some point CreditPommes and maybe Brunsketti for stage are joining, then I think the group was catchable, when it was clear they have no interest I "slowed" down to avoid Hamarat too much under reg.

Hamarat should be there for general safety? 35 reg usually these guys are not very usefull in 30% of the stages (in terms of actually riding tempo). I mean yes he can be used to catch back an early group that I really don't want. But he can do this at one stage and be unfit until the next rest day.

Of course it is the gravel stage. If there is a group with let's say Fujiwara or a good Huber I need that stage very much for having a chance.
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Sat May 11, 2024 7:33 pm

Fucked up the TT energy, hihi... Woldemariam perfect, almost, had 30 or so more to give. Not sure what I did wrong with Marquez. Started at 95, 14.5 per km (after 2) 145-290-580. oh, that's too much. Down to 90 12.5, so 500. Why I thought that was good is still a mystery. AFter all new that the 12 would cost shitloads of energy...10.5 at 85 was the right thing (seems that the start slow, all out from later though was better, so probably 80 or 75 and then up to 85/90 then 100 better? But each time I tried that I felt my guys underperformed, so was planning to just go at a steady pace, then 100% at the end) 420 for 40 flat km, last 7 km at 100 that's 56 more if it was flat, perfect. But somehow I simply didn't think it through right, still not sure why. At km 20+ I realized it, but then decided to just fuck it, too late anyway most likely (ok, could have saved enough energy but going that slow...)and that I didn't need the win today after all :lol: And unsurprisingly didn't get the win today. But don't worry the Donks will be ready on Tuesday!

Not much happened, attack for the blue jersey, but it all seems rather pointless with the points being on the big climbs, so for the moment at the end. With all the tries Capelli did so far, he's still only at 39 points. The winner on Tuesday will get 40.. IMO on days like these it would be worth trying to continue, not just take the 18 early points, but try to bring the group through. And today was not even a bad day for that. Some people under reg from the TT, not sure which ones, would have sworn Flopp is unfit, Wingelaar possibly, Krausz minimally maybe, Sullivan fit and knew Marquez unfit. So while I was happily chasing, my great plan was to chase sloowly, with breaks, to "miscalculate" and let the group through.. Not easy, with the long climb, but if the 88 seems to ride for the stage, but seems convinced that he can get the escape later, maybe others start refusing work too. Anyway, nothing to lose by trying, GC even if you lose 4' today instead of 2... it's in the third week that the placements in the top 10 will be decided. Right side of a split and you gain minutes and minutes on guys like Aïnouz and Woldemariam. Just kill the puller, you had 3'+ on top of the cat 2, keep going after waiting for Lula, which made sense, in the back the chase will be slowish most likely.

Then a weird try by Gipfel, saving Aïnouz over the hill? Was that the plan? Ok, if AAD siebs with Drinfeld, goes with Oppenheimer chances are you are back and lose lots of time. But on the other hand doubt AAD is worrying about Aïnouz. Ok, he has little else to do, so might gain time on him there out of boredome. For stage having 2 helpers and one for Drinfield more sensible though... Why try to bring the flat guy over the hill, a mystery...

Then attack by Schappy. Next Ottolenghi, Next MArquez with everybody except Meldrum following. At least one guy couldn't. Wasn't surprised, going at 6 briliant, explains why everyone follows and in in addition was starting to wonder if maybe Krausz was too unfit to beleive in his stage, that's why so passive, if he's as unfit as me, maybe he can't follow on 6 with the overy big influence flat has there.... but no. Tried again the next km, went in, then attacked out of tempo, thought then maybe nobody blocks with my half sectrick in, but no, blocked by Krausz, from then on just went in to avoid losing too much time in the big fight for money.

All ok today, tomorrow not much to do for me, hilly stuff is for others, don't have the team for that. Full concentration on Tuesday, third mountain top arrival, Marquez is getting impatient.

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Sun May 12, 2024 9:48 pm

Drinfeld!

The throwback jersey brings luck. First stage in the new jerseys and first stage win. Very nice. Pressure gone now totally, Rosa on Ferenc's shoulders, stage win. Great.

Today I thought I might not be online. Then I saw Bright goes for the stage, thought I might let him work a bit first before joining the tempo. After all, McMell with 2 stage wins already, Brights classics with 74+ climb both. I thought that my 56-58-59 sprint train might be usefull in one or another stage. Today, I thought that Rella might probably not be there in the end. Mostly on phone until the first sieb km, from there could switch to laptop. Last +7 Sullivan with the hard sieb, even Drinfeld was siebed there while fighting was on. FL coming back with 2 Gipfel classics, Clouds, Woldemariam and some other strong classics. Next km attacks by Belkina, Woldemariam with Stork following. Group with Oppenheimer and Rella came back to the climbers and the attacks 7/8 s ahead. Looked like they make it to me, slight downhill little by Bialetti, in the last 3 flat km, big mass with Gip going all in. For me just Rella there. Trains from Gip and me looked similarly strong, so I decided to try the train. Looked good from the start, Rella, ahead of a fitter Oppenheimer and Drinfeld as leader. Ainouz in the wheel of Drinfeld. Bright going for the 2 men train for McMell with Bialetti in the wheel. So I expected McMell from 150 while Drinfeld needs to wait for 100m or gamble that Ainouz goes from 150 as well. But Rella was really strong and just lost like 1,5 wheels in 250m. Oppenheimer then winning back and overtaking Clouds. McMell a full wheel back when he started sprinting at 150. Was sure to withstand with Oppenheimer and take the win home from 100m. Was working, but Ainouz from 150m was closer than expected. In the end, a perfect sprint, perfect timing and the first stage win for A&D this GIRO!
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points