No big chested podium boys for Giro opener in Amsterdam

Discuss with us about cycling sport

Moderator: englishmods

Luna

No big chested podium boys for Giro opener in Amsterdam

Post by Luna » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I saw iBan posting that cn-link in the chat today ( http //www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-organiser ... -amsterdam ). Just didn't have the time to react to it immediately. There's been another article there a few days ago where the issue was raised. I always knew that Amsterdam is a pretty cool town. Such a shame that the functionaries are so narrow headed. That would be really funny if it came true. But respect for the different dispositions, or at least tolarance, is seemingly still more theoretical than truthful. While cycling would be a suitable platform for such an effort. It could bring back a kind of credibility, that's been lost over the past years, of course not in the way folks would expect. But with such a social progress it could really outpace other sports and be an outrider that could shine just beyond the borders of professional sport. While bringing cycling to foreign nations and working for a better understanding among them (what really seems to work for example with the Tour of Oman) they still fear to touch the subject of individual freedom of sexuality. Too bad. There are definitely many race winners who find it unpleasant to be kissed by women on the podium. Even as a more heterosexual person it seems to me too sexist to still be practised as a basic principle. Sexism is the brother of fascism.

iBanesto

Re: No big chested podium boys for Giro opener in Amsterdam

Post by iBanesto » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:20 pm

I would love to see Cavendish's face when he gets kissed by two podium guys. That would make bunch sprints worth watching. :D

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Hehe^^

Maybe the kisses wouldn't have to be obligatory.
The winners of the desert races in the last weeks weren't be kissed by the sheiks either,
but they just was framed by members of the specific culture of the hosting country.

iBanesto

Post by iBanesto » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:53 pm

I don't really follow the woman's races unless there is a world championship, but do they have podium girls too?

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm not sure. But I think they have some male functionaries standing beside them and shaking their hands.