olmania

Help me, Excel is not my friend

Post by olmania » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi !
I need help !
I have stuff like that (I don't know the name in english (category?)) :
]300;305]
]305;310]

I have to build a table it from 300 to 3000, by 5 to 5.
And I don't know (or dont remember) how I can do that easily ...
With which usage or written form ?

Because it will be a bit long to write manually each ?(class? Category?).

Cerro Torre RT

Re: Help me, Excel is not my friend

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:34 pm

i know how it could be done, but I don't think the used functions have to be the same in another language as many of those are german words, so you have to find the right ones in your language. And don't think thos has to be the easiest solution, just one i know and that works.

First make a column with the numbers of 300 to 3000 in 5-steps (here in column A)

In the next column, you use the following: ="]"&TEXT(A1;"0")&";"&TEXT(A2;"0")&"]" and expand that on the whole column. So you get the desired content as text. Copy that with the option "values only" (just a translation), and you got it. If you want that as text.

olmania

Post by olmania » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Cerro Torre RT wrote:i know how it could be done, but I don't think the used functions have to be the same in another language as many of those are german words, so you have to find the right ones in your language. And don't think thos has to be the easiest solution, just one i know and that works.

First make a column with the numbers of 300 to 3000 in 5-steps (here in column A)

In the next column, you use the following: ="]"&TEXT(A1;"0")&";"&TEXT(A2;"0")&"]" and expand that on the whole column. So you get the desired content as text. Copy that with the option "values only" (just a translation), and you got it. If you want that as text.

I just have to copy/paste this ="]"&TEXT(A1;"0")&";"&TEXT(A2;"0")&"]" ? Or I have to change smthg in the place of &TEXT ?
Because it doesn't work when I just do a simpla copy/paste.
Sorry but excel is really not my friend, and it's hard with the languages :lol:

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:10 pm

well what i suppose is that the operator & which just connects strings will work, but the operator TEXT has to be translated. And I can't help you with that. What it does is to convert a number into a string, or, how it seems to be called in excel, in text format.

olmania

Post by olmania » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Cerro Torre RT wrote:well what i suppose is that the operator & which just connects strings will work, but the operator TEXT has to be translated. And I can't help you with that. What it does is to convert a number into a string, or, how it seems to be called in excel, in text format.

It works :lol:

Thank you very much :D