english translation for "sieben"

All you have to say

Moderator: englishmods

Cerro Torre RT

english translation for "sieben"

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:42 am

Well, as it is shown that there are existing several problems in translating the german word "sieben", which we use since years to discribe the action of splitting the field at the mountains or cobblestones, I'd like to introduce a probable translation:

to sieve

sounds quite similar, and following LEO, it means nearly the same than our german word. So I think we porably could get used to it. What do others think about it? is there a more adequate translation?

Rockstar Inc

Re: english translation for "sieben"

Post by Rockstar Inc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:56 am

seperate the peloton

break the peloton

"make a selection"
"I'm an old-school sprinter. I can't climb a mountain but if I am in front with 200 metres to go then there's nobody who can beat me.” Mark Cavendish, at the 2007 Eneco Tour

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:38 am

Actually I never found "sieben" a fitting expression for what happens in such situations. So I wouldn't search for a literal translation for it. In my ears "making/forcing a selection" sounds better, although it might very well mean exactly the same. I'm not sure. I even don't know how they call such a procedure, for example, on cyclingnews. They just don't refer such an action to the riders getting dropped. They only they something like "David Millar set such an incredible tempo at the climb to the Galibier that even Damiano Cunego, amongst others, had to drop out of the peloton". But I see, that's to complicated for the quick comminacation in the chat while racing. "Making a split" would be adequate as well, I think. Yes, "who's gonna split the field at the next climb?" could be an adequate formulation for that. Or just "Who makes the split?". "Put the hammer down", "smash the peloton" ^^

Lizard

Post by Lizard » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 am

How bout "fünf gegen Willi Wiese" ? :twisted:
Wizards Cycling: De toenemende Ster van Amsterdam

Hall of Fame:
Adam Wollfinger (73-82-80-47-57, 64 Reg)
Herbert Königsbauer (87-60-66-54-53, 57 Reg)
Manuel Clausen (76-83-63-46-64, 57 Reg)
Tom van Amstel (74-80-74-50-65, 35 Reg)

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:51 am

Making a split" would be adequate as well, I think. Yes, "who's gonna split the field at the next climb?" could be an adequate formulation for that. Or just "Who makes the split?".
I always use this translation when writing with non-german-speaking people in the chat.
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.

Robyklebt

Post by Robyklebt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 am

I say sieben, since by now they all understand it.

And mmh, how often do you read about "sieben" on radsportnews (ok never, since nobody is reading that anymore I hope) How often did you here the commentators say sieben? Vinokurov siebt für Ulle! ???? Liquigas müsste jetzt am Poggio sieben damit Cavendish nicht mitkommt? The search for an official cycling term in English is a bit strange when the german term is not really that official either. If we need an official translation Cerros sieve sounds ok..

But we don't need the translation, we just have to sieb more often. Every day, on every climb! Sieben is good.
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Zauberlehrling

Post by Zauberlehrling » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm

I normally write "seven", what else?

gaurain rx

Post by gaurain rx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:36 am

Zauberlehrling wrote:I normally write "seven", what else?
Nespresso :D

Lizard

Post by Lizard » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:39 am

Gotcha! ZL is George Clooney. You know, like... Z=George and L=Clooney... somethin´ like that. Anyways, I guess 95% (to be on topic for once) of all players will understand either sieben, to sieve, split the peloton or anything else you might write.

Even though the most beautiful way to say it in English should be "to split the peloton".
Wizards Cycling: De toenemende Ster van Amsterdam

Hall of Fame:
Adam Wollfinger (73-82-80-47-57, 64 Reg)
Herbert Königsbauer (87-60-66-54-53, 57 Reg)
Manuel Clausen (76-83-63-46-64, 57 Reg)
Tom van Amstel (74-80-74-50-65, 35 Reg)

Aixteam

Post by Aixteam » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Every non-german speaker knows "sieb" now ... Ok at first , we didn't really understand but now , it's incrusted on our hearts ^^
Petit Singe: Aix croit toujours qu'il sera important dans le real life, RSF bah, pas trop ambitieux, NoPik a compris que il n'aura jamais le succes qu'il peut avoir ici en real life, alors il donne tout pour RSF!

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:21 pm

Cool. RSF introduces foreign words into different languages ^^

Aixteam

Post by Aixteam » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Luna wrote:Cool. RSF introduces foreign words into different languages ^^
But I don't think I'll often use " sieb " when I will speak with my friends :lol:
Petit Singe: Aix croit toujours qu'il sera important dans le real life, RSF bah, pas trop ambitieux, NoPik a compris que il n'aura jamais le succes qu'il peut avoir ici en real life, alors il donne tout pour RSF!

Buhmann

Post by Buhmann » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Cool thread, thought you meant the film...

"Sieben" is "sieben" of course, pro Roby! It´s radsportfreakisch! And if somebody don´t know what sieben is, we can expalin it :)

ariostea

Post by ariostea » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:37 pm

yes! radsportfreakisch will rule the world! let´s stay to internationalism "sieben".

when everybody on the world is playing RSF (let´s say 2 years still to go) - "i will do a little bit of siebing" will exist in every language! and a lot of PhD-thesis will be written in german if it is "der Sieb" oder "das Sieb" - i will love it

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Of course it will be the sieb

Aixteam

Post by Aixteam » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Luna wrote:Of course it will be the sieb

8-) 8-) 8-)

Rockstar Inc

Post by Rockstar Inc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:11 pm

ariostea wrote:yes! radsportfreakisch will rule the world! let´s stay to internationalism "sieben".

when everybody on the world is playing RSF (let´s say 2 years still to go) - "i will do a little bit of siebing" will exist in every language! and a lot of PhD-thesis will be written in german if it is "der Sieb" oder "das Sieb" - i will love it
ohh only a few month to go :lol:
"I'm an old-school sprinter. I can't climb a mountain but if I am in front with 200 metres to go then there's nobody who can beat me.” Mark Cavendish, at the 2007 Eneco Tour

Pirkio

Post by Pirkio » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:34 pm

ok when we can use "sieb" in the real world?
----------------------------------------------
Motorizzati Corse

We're back!

Quick

Post by Quick » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 am

Pirkio wrote:ok when we can use "sieb" in the real world?
Don't care! Just use it! Important is that you show self-confidence while saying it. Everybody will soon discover how cool "sieb" is and start saying it too!
J-Czucz hype train