Power consumption during sprint

Beginner questions and so on. Stupid question? Ask us!

Moderator: englishmods

Gipfelstuermer

Power consumption during sprint

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:15 pm

How much power does the 'new' sprint consume? (Yes, I'm new to the new sprint.)

In today's GP Cerami, my rider Bonifacio Basto took part in the sprint. He started the sprint with approximately 750. At 400m, he was at 477! I was scared and canceled the sprint because Bonifacio is supposed to ride Tour du Cap Corse tomorrow. Now he is at 675. Tomorrow 1000.

So was the 477 like a forecast? (If he goes the full sprint)
And if yes, does it make a difference, when you are in the wind, when you go left or right in the sprint, etc.?

Would be cool to know in order to calculate whether you want to sprint or not.
GIP MASTERPLAN
Gameplay: Flexible Min-Tact. Improve Sprint System. Windkante.
Marketing: Re-attract old players. Advertisement. Social Media.
New Players: Fair Start Budget, New Tutorial.
Fairplay: Improve FPC features, Fair Prize Money Disribution.

Robyklebt

Re: Power consumption during sprint

Post by Robyklebt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Energy cost is in 2 ways:
1 Sprint costs 50 energy. Then 10 more for every 50 meters that you "sprint", not just mitgehen, or that your in the wind. (I think, no guarantee on when exactly you have to "pay" those extra 10 points)
2) During the sprint the energy will go much lower, but that's sort of a different "sprint energy". Here being in the wind costs more energy than following, nonsensically more.

But actually the whole system sucks. The less you know about it the better. According to Buhmann it's intuitive....
Kraftsystemrevision! Include the distance!
Basics reform: Give blue a chance!
Don't punish bugusers. We all have to use bugs, since most of them are declared as "features"!

Gipfelstuermer

Post by Gipfelstuermer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Puuuh, I kind of like the illustration of different riders sprinting and the idea to create some more strategy options. Most likely, Buh has put a lot of work into this system.

BUT, after 3 sprints, it is not intuitive at all for me. I believe the disadvantages have been discussed extensively, but the additional 10 min race, the intransparency and the difficulty of navigating from one sprint group to another do not make it an improvement in my point of view. The problem for me really is that a 10min sprint doesn't feel like a sprint at all, because in real cycling a sprint is fast, few decisions are made and yes, luck plays a role.

Perhaps teams specialized on sprinting have a different view here. I'll try to get used to it but I would also be in for discussions about future improvements. (if Buh has any time for that at all)
GIP MASTERPLAN
Gameplay: Flexible Min-Tact. Improve Sprint System. Windkante.
Marketing: Re-attract old players. Advertisement. Social Media.
New Players: Fair Start Budget, New Tutorial.
Fairplay: Improve FPC features, Fair Prize Money Disribution.

thxr

Post by thxr » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:02 pm

Hello,
Im almost new in here, just around 20 races done, but sprint still is not so clear for me.
Specially in small groups, is possible that first rider in train did not start sprinting, and there is no way to see it in the animation. Could not some icon be added in order to show if train is pulling or not?
Thank you.

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:43 pm

thxr wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:02 pm
Hello,
Im almost new in here, just around 20 races done, but sprint still is not so clear for me.
Specially in small groups, is possible that first rider in train did not start sprinting, and there is no way to see it in the animation. Could not some icon be added in order to show if train is pulling or not?
Thank you.
Welcome,

You can watch the energy of your rider in that train. If the train is not pulling it won't lose any energy at the change, let's say from 450m to 400m. If the train is pulling, you lose ~30energy there.

But yes it would be nice to see the actual ?speed of the trains (also compare for different trains)
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

thxr

Post by thxr » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:24 pm

Hello,
I have one more question on this topic. Is possible to select which lane to sprint? Because I sometimes see other teams moving their trains, not the usual sprint left/right that I am aware of. Thank you.

team fl

Post by team fl » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:37 pm

thxr wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:24 pm
Hello,
I have one more question on this topic. Is possible to select which lane to sprint? Because I sometimes see other teams moving their trains, not the usual sprint left/right that I am aware of. Thank you.
You cannot actively select which lane to sprint, but there are some situations, in which your rider/train will change the lane. For example if you set your rider to follow another rider in another lane, your rider will change to that lane. Or when sprint train "jumps" over another one (or just one rider) by a rider behind the lead out going left or right.
I didn't mean to say it. But I meant what I said.

thxr

Post by thxr » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:57 pm

Thanks for explanation. Follow instruction is also not clear for me in some situations.
For example, I want to follow a rider from a different lane, which is in the middle of a train. Of course I wont be able to take his wheel because is already being followed, but instead is going shoulder to shoulder with him, is that right? So this can be used to move a train close to another I guess.

And different situation, what exactly happens when following a guy behind you? Rider stop sprinting until he passes you and then you are on his wheel/train?

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:57 pm

thxr wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:57 pm
Thanks for explanation. Follow instruction is also not clear for me in some situations.
For example, I want to follow a rider from a different lane, which is in the middle of a train. Of course I wont be able to take his wheel because is already being followed, but instead is going shoulder to shoulder with him, is that right? So this can be used to move a train close to another I guess.

And different situation, what exactly happens when following a guy behind you? Rider stop sprinting until he passes you and then you are on his wheel/train?
You are right with your assumptions (shoulder to shoulder). Some details. When you follow another rider from a different lane, you don't get the slipstream (Windschatten) bonus, so you lose more energy. Some say, it is therefore not clever to do this, others use it for positional changes as you suggested. You can accidently steal the wheel if you are shoulder to shoulder sprinting and your wheel changes the lane (sprinting left/right of a launcher) but it is not clear if that is a feature or a bug.

Following a rider behind you can be risky and is often related with the topic of "trick sprinting". It happens that the rider that is behind you is also following your rider, than both kind of stop sprinting.
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points