Made by Cerro

Moderators: systemmods, Calendarmods

Cerro Torre RT

Made by Cerro

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 pm

So i start over once again, designing some new races.

Because of the actual discussion, i begin with a very difficult mountain stage. Nothing extraordinary, just combining 3 famous climbs of the Giro in a short stage of just 148 km, but with 4750 m of total altitude difference to climb. Just pure mountains, leaving out a possible flat beginning. Finish after a downhill, as i prefer those very much in comparison to mountain finishs. Desinged with a few kilometers of Google Earth, main part from salite.ch. Minute tact from Bormio, very easy choice. Saved as "tiranostelvio".

Cerro Torre RT

Re: Made by Cerro

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:35 pm

The last one very short, so next is a real long race

Trofeo de las Alpujarras

This race is situated in Andalucia, in the south of spain, most parts in the south side of Sierra Nevada, called Alpujarras.

Starting in Granada, the first climbs leads to the Alhambra, afterwards turning south to the highway direction Motril. But a couple kilometers before it is left and the road turns to the left to follow little roads to the many lovely little villages at the south side of the Sierra Nevada. So it gets to a consistent up and down, with many possibilitys to sieve, but also some longer climbs, one leading to the highest point which is most way up to Puerto de la Ragua, but leaving for another road to stay at the south side. Very long, 238 km, and with 4320 m to climb clearly a mountain stage, althought the classic riders may have got better chances.

saved as: alpujarra

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Next one:

A long stage in Ireland, starting in the South and leading north, varios times crossing the Wicklow mountains before the finish in Dublin. It was planned easier and shorter, but it developed that way.

saved as wexforddublin

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 am

If you really set Ireland for the flag than we'll have to complain to Leso that the flag is wrong. It has to be a light orange, instead of clearly red.

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:29 am

thx, i watched after it, Ireland is set, but this is clearly the Italian one. So please Leso, note and correct.

lesossies
Site Admin

Post by lesossies » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Cerro Torre RT wrote:thx, i watched after it, Ireland is set, but this is clearly the Italian one. So please Leso, note and correct.
I don´t understand why
Italy Image

Eire Image

The flags are right. :roll:

Maybe the background influences the output ....

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:02 am

strange. maybe.

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 am

The germa/ belgian /spanish flags on the raceprofile are green instead of yellow, i'm surprised you only notice this now
Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo...

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:36 am

Again, planned shorter, but couldn't be shortened any more...

Because it just surronds the 2nd highest mountain of Mexico, the vulcano Popocatepetl. Starting and ending in Xico near Mexico City, it first takes the highway till San Martín and then changes to smaller roads. After Atlixco, the terrain gets really heavy with many steep climbs of short to medium length, followed by a long more or less flat track on the highway again back to Xico. 226 km long with 3110 m to climb, very hard so, but the last possibility to sieve 50 km before the finish, which should make it difficult to be completly controlled.

saved as popocatepetl

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:20 pm

And again, Cerro created a race that was totally different than it was planned.

It should have been a very hard medium stage at Cabo Verde, on the main island Santiago. A short race, with a lot of steep ups and downs. Ok, that was achieved. Don't question the sabretooth profile, all what I see on Google earth indicates that it is correct. But what was not meant to be was the road quality. A website describes it like that:

"In den Städten Mindelo auf São Vicente und Praia auf Santiago sowie auf der Passstrecke von Praia nach Assomada gibt es einige Kilometer Asphaltstrasse, sonst trifft man bei den Hauptstrassen überall auf Kopfsteinpflaster."

von http://www.bela-vista.net/mountainbike-d.aspx

In english that basicly means nearly every road is of cobblestones. An example you can see here (a bit too big to show it directly):
http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com ... 106309.jpg

And so the resulting race you can see in the profile picture. All Cobblestone roads have been rated *** (thanks to roby for your advice)

So in the end it resulted in an unrideable race, much to hard (I won't be mad if it will not show up in the race calender). But I just had to show it. What a crazy island.

saved as aldekapverde

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Weird!

Very nice picture of the cobbled road there. Really mad.

olmania

Post by olmania » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Wha !

This race could be a cat2-3 of the Winter fantasy races !
165is short, but 165kms of cobbles is maybe long (could do the same with 120-130kms ?), but we can try like that !

The pavés look like not traditionnals but the result for the cyclist will be the same.

Strohhutbande

Post by Strohhutbande » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:54 pm

This race could be ridden before an Worldchampionship!

olmania

Post by olmania » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:07 pm

Strohhutbande wrote:This race could be ridden before an Worldchampionship!
No !
For a World Championship ! Imagine the crazy race :lol: That could be an amazing RSF experience !

GengisKhan

Post by GengisKhan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Seems more for cyclocross riders, but why not program this kind of original races during winter for some fun ?

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:18 am

So to test what the map tool can do, I designed a first race. Others will follow.

The race centers on one of my favourite mountain passes, the Alto de Abantos, which sadly I haven't seen in television for years. As the race went to short when first reaching El Estación, I added another round over the Abantos. Weather the race is won by a classic rider or if a mountain rider can do it, may depend on the field. 4120 hight meters are to be climbed, and the minute tact will start at the first passage of El Escorial, at km 114. The cobblestone km is too in El Escorial, I rated it with **.

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:18 am

Another race for classic riders, this time in the USA. The general direction is upwards the Lackawanna River valley, but there are several roads leading out of the valley end back, especially in the later part of the race, providing a difficult finale. The minute tact starts at the first crossing of Carbondale at km 170.

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Let's try some races in southern countries. To start, let's go the the two most southern countries of the world. The Vuelta a Patagonia will consist of 6 stages in Argentina and Chile.

Finnally, it went to be a very easy tour. As there are only few mountains to go into the mountains, the connection of the most famous nature sights of Patagonia contains mostly flat stages. To get some hills into it, I had to use quite some dirt roads, which are just assumed to be asphaltic (as I'm perfectly used to do in South America). To not make it just a competition of sprinting stage winners, all categories are HC, so there are no time bonifications at the finish line. That leaves attacks and one intermediate sprint in each days to make the difference. As the tour is nearly completly flat, a mountain jersey would be just a bad joke, so there are no mountain sprints. It'll be a tour for 8 riders.

saved as vueltapatagonia01 to 06

Here the stages:

A short and flat stage, at the Border of the Estrecho de Magellanes, on the continental side. The weather shall be quite dry, but quite cold, and windy. Minute tact starts at 125.

2nd one is as short as the first, and least north to the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. The few differences are that minute tact starts later, at 150, and there is one seiveable km at 80, which shall not have a lot of an impact.

The 3rd stage is flat, too, but very long, leading all the way back west. It starts at the Atlantic Ocean and finishes at the coast of the Golfo Almirante Montt, which is a part of the Pazific Ocean. 270 km are to be ridden today, probably all of it with a hard wint from the front. The minute tact starts at 232, 2 ahead from the first sprint.

After 4 flat stages, the race enters the decisive part. A medium stage of 200 km starts at Puerto Natales and leads directly through the famous National Park of Torres del Paine, which, if the weather is adecuate, shall offer some magnificant looks on the Patagonian mountains. The race offers quite some possibilities to sieve, but will not easily offer to shake off the sprinters by a big margin, as the final hill may be steep enough to offer room for attacks, but not steep enough to sieve. The minute tact starts at 135, when the important hilly part begins.

The longest stage of the tour, with the finish at the viewpoint to the Perito Moreno. The stage finishes there with a mountain finish, but the length may open the possibility to outrace the climbers. Minute tact will start at El Calafate, due to the hill that follows, at km 203.

The last stage is again a flat stage, of a medium lenght of 216 km, with mintact starting at 186. It leads to the Patagonian Captital of Climbers, el Chaltén. Behind the city, one may see, weather-depended, Cerro Fitz Roy, and if taking a hike into the Valley in western direction, with a huge junk of luck, even the Cerro Torre.
Last edited by Cerro Torre RT on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cerro Torre RT

Post by Cerro Torre RT » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 am

After the half year that it took me to finish the Patagonia Tour, I'll add a difficult one day race in Patagonia. It's situatied at the Lage General Carrera and starts near the border to Argentina, in Chico Chile. As the coast to the lake is quite steep, the first part is a constant up and down with ascents up to 9%. At half of the race, reaching the zone at the end of the lake, the race leads to the flatlands of the incoming rivers. Finally, on the other seaside, the longest climb of the day waits for the riders. Sure I know, the race is a bit too backloaded with the final climb, and there's not much supposed to happen before it, but well, if a race developes like that through the designing process, I just let it happen. 8 riders as usual, saved as cchicopsanchez.c4f