Races by Mapei Quickstep

Moderators: systemmods, Calendarmods

Mapei Quickstep

Races by Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 pm

I'd like to create some races on my own, and I'll show them here. I create my races with Google Earth, as I am used to this tool quite well by just looking around or searching for tracks to cycle on my own. I will be happy if you write some feedback, please.

So my first race is that one:

It's leading from Nice to Finale Ligure, basically all along the cost. For the start I decided to draw a short sprinter's race with only few hills, most important one beeing the Poggio di Sanremo, but ridden from the opposite direction as in Milano - Sanremo. The minute tact will start at Albenga, 23 km before the finish. I saved it as nicefinale.

Well, a little problem I got, and that is with the number of riders. Each time I try to save it with http://radsportfreaks.de/radsport/raceeditor.php, the typed number at the field "Amount of Riders", which should be 8, dissapears, and if I reload from the server, it stays this way, no number is shown. So I fear this one not to be saved accuratly. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Mapei Quickstep

Re: Races by Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:12 pm

The next race, a flat race as well, is quite different to the first, though. On very long 233 km from Oxford to Sheffield, with minute tact from 185, the hills are situated near the finish. The only steep hill is near Brassington at km 187, 9%, while the slope of the last hill doesn't increase 5%. Nevertheless, it might handle some problems to the sprinter's teams with controlling the race. Save name is "oxfordsheffield".

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Really nice job :)
Qui sème le vent récolte le tempo...

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 am

thx... and wow, already in the calender, that's nice... just that I chose to ride Hainan without knowing and so en't able to take part myself. But well, that's life, thx nevertheless.

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:13 pm

2 new ones:

First in Italy, a quite difficult race with some high passes, but a long flat end from Genova to Parma. With a length of 211 km it's again a quite long one. Minute tact from 181, save name "genovaparma"

Second one in Scotland, starting in Inverness at the North Sea and crossing the country and all the Isle of Skye. Medium length of 192 km, 6 hills with percentages of 6% and more within the last 80 km. Last kilometers are 6 -3 -2 9 6 2 -3 -5 -8 -1. Minute tact from 155, savename "invernesstalisker"

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:50 pm

As next race, I tried to make a mountain race, and what should I say. I may have gone over the top just a bit. 4930 hm have to be climbed on just 154 km. 7 passes have to been climbed, most of them famous and included many times in the Giro d'Italia, as the race is in the dolomities. Starting in Alleghe, it's crossing the Passo Giau in direction to Cortina d'Ampezzo but not going down all the way, heading left to cross the Passo Falzarego and then Passo Fedaia to reach Canazei the first time. From there, it's pretty easy, just a round all the way round the Sella group. Minute tact is from Canazei, km 89 so, and it is saved as alleghecanazei.

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:58 pm

:lol:

I see you never put any mountain prize in your races, is that on purpose ?

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Yes. There is no mountain jersey to win in one-day races, so what should a mountain prize be for?

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:12 pm

I believe sometimes there is a little trophy ;)

But you're kind of right. Excepted that often nobody wants to go in an early breakaway if there is no money to win...

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:15 pm

What I experience by now is that especially if there's money on the mountains, groups are chased because of that. So I reckon many of those races might be better with less intermediates.

NoPikouze

Post by NoPikouze » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Okok...

But 140' for a sprintrace! Damn you!

Rockstar Inc

Post by Rockstar Inc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:42 pm

NoPikouze wrote:Okok...

But 140' for a sprintrace! Damn you!
be quiet Piggy...nice race today
"I'm an old-school sprinter. I can't climb a mountain but if I am in front with 200 metres to go then there's nobody who can beat me.” Mark Cavendish, at the 2007 Eneco Tour

Bovakian-Nairn

Post by Bovakian-Nairn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:26 am

Hey Mapei,

I think Oxford to Sheffield could have at least one more sprint point and maybe a Cat 4 hill classification or 2 to make it a little more interesting.
Otherwise it is a nice long stage.

Cheers

Bova

flockmastoR

Post by flockmastoR » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 am

Bovakian-Nairn wrote:Hey Mapei,

I think Oxford to Sheffield could have at least one more sprint point and maybe a Cat 4 hill classification or 2 to make it a little more interesting.
Otherwise it is a nice long stage.

Cheers

Bova
what for? like attacks in such races more than 100times the price money attackers in nearly all other races.
Boaz Trakhtenbrot:
  • Winner Giro 2022
  • 10 GC wins
  • 16.609 Eternal Points

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:59 pm

As I was in a small, but good group, far the best of all my races, I'll stick to including only few intermediates. Too, there are a lot of race with masses of them, too much in my eyes, so there's no need to insert even more of them.

My next race is situated in Norway, and it's a very hard race. 2980 meters have to be climbed on 187 km, though it is a race for classic riders nevertheless. Minute tact starts at 131. It's that early because the profile, after a descending and mostly flat start, get's very hilly and especially in that last part, there are few long climbs and descents, but many changes in the steepness with short downhills and flat passages in between. I even thought about starting minute tact at 110, but that would have made the race a bit too long considering the time. The small last climb in Lillehammer, just before the finish, does not exeed 4%. Saved as beitostolenlillehammer.

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:42 am

Two more races, we stay in the north, going way further with the first. My first completly flat race leads from the Swedish mining city Kiruna, known for its iron, to the Norwegian Atlantic harbour of Narvik, from which the Kiruna iron was shipped. Swedish harbours at the Baltic Sea were not usable, as it was usualy frozen several months a year. Along that railway leads the race, with a lenght of 179 km. No climb exeeds 5%, minute tact is from 148. Savename is kirunanarvik.

The second race leads us to one of Europe's smallest country, the Färöer Islands. Well, one can argue about that, as it has the same status as Greenland, beeing a self governing territory within the Kingdom of Denmark. As the flag is not choosable in the editor, the Danish flag is used.
Starting place and finish are just 9 km apart as the crow flies, but on two different Islands. From Toftir on Esturoyar the track is leading along the shoreline. But as you see on the profile, the cost roads are not nearly flat, as on the steep coasts the road have to travel significantly up and down, avoiding cliffs or passing villages overhead. At the first larger climb, the track is crossing the island's mountain ridge. At Nordskali, the track crosses a brigde to continue on the main island, Streymoyar. At the end of village of Kjollafjordur, which is quite like a lot after the mark as this village is nearly 7 km long, the final round is entered, near the middle of it. From there it leads up to the mountains, on the only route that does not only cross them, but leads parallel to the shoreline quite some way up in the hills, which's name is Oyggjarvegur. It leads directly to the Capital, Torshavn, which is quite a bumpy city. Therefor the finish line is at the peers of the habour, for to have a flat last km and 400m of a perfectly straight to allow a good sprint. From there, the road leads, at the coast, back to the end of Kjollafjordur, to close the round. So the final round with a lenght of 48 km is ridden 2 and a half times, the last one completly in minute tact. Oyggjarvegur has to be ridden even three times. So overall, it's quite a difficult race suitable for classic riders. Savename is torfirtorshavn.

ariostea

Post by ariostea » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:17 am

Mapei:
I'll stick to including only few intermediates.
top! go on with this.

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:43 pm

A hard mountain race today. This time we go from Chamonix in France to Blatten, near Brig, in Suisse. The first to passes lead the riders to the valley of the Rhone, which is followed northwards to Brig with only a slight side trip, to Crans-Montana. From Brig, the old road to Simplon is taken, but not completly up the pass, but turning left when the old reaches the new Simplon Road to go down to Brig immediatly again. From there, the long and steep last climb leads to Blatten and further towards Belalp. Unfortunatly, the race can't finish up there at 2100m above see level, due to the rest of the road is not asphaltated. So the race finishes on a parking lot slightly upwards of Tschuggen. On those 178 km 3860 m of altitude have to be climbed in total, the minute tact is from km 147, when Brig is crossed the first time. Saved as chamonixblatten.

Looking at that profile, I thought it might be an even more interesting race if ridden the other direction, with the long and hard Col de la Forclaz followed by the much easier Col des Montets, and finishing after a short descend in Chamonix. So I desided to add the race in the other direction as well. But sure it doesn't start at Blatten, no sence in beginning with a downhill, so the start is moved to Brig. So beside the different finish, it has quite the same character as the other direction. Shortened to 165 km and 3130 hm, it's still a very hard race. Minute tact from Martigny, km 122, savename is brigchamonix.

GengisKhan

Post by GengisKhan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:05 pm

I prefer the 2nd one, it seems more tactical and funnier to ride. :)

Mapei Quickstep

Post by Mapei Quickstep » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:08 pm

From time to time, I miserably fail to predict how long a track may be that I decided to make by raw creation. When I planned it, I thought of some like 100 mostly flat km from Toulon to Les Salles-en-Verdon and another 80 afterwards. Well, it proved to be a lot more when measuring in detail. But somehow I en't able to abandon a once made plan.

The starting part from Toulon to Les Salles-en-Verdon was a bit longer than estimated, 120km, and a lot more bumbier, as a shy 1700 hm have to be climbed just on that part. From there, the plan was to completly surround the famous canyon of Verdon, on the nearest possible rode. Just as I was half way through that round (or rather when I thought to be half way through), I had to consider that I made a mistake in the raw plan and the Gorges du Verdon is quite some longer. So as it has been planned, we just added that extra meters, which even leads the road to go inside the upper part of the canyon. Most of the other parts of the road follow the upper limits of the canyon, but here and there it's got to leave it quite far away to avoid unpassable mountains. Therefor, the round went to be 130 km instead of 80 as planned, but offers even more very spectacular views on the magnificent landscape of the Gorges du Verdon than the short one. The race in total is now 253 km in lenght. 4300 hm have to be climbed in total. Though I leave it a medium stage despite the large altitude difference to be climbed, as the profile still favours classic riders. Minute takt is from the point where the road leaves the bottom of the canyon and climbes up again to its limit (km 197). Savename is toulonverdon.